Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Corn chips with a gluten-free label on them. Makes me laugh everytime I see it. Of course they are gluten free. Corn doesn't have gluten to begin with.

To be fair, some corn chips have flavorings or additives that do contain gluten. My favorite corn chips are seasoned with soy sauce (which can contain wheat gluten). I have a friend with celiac and I wasn't aware of that until she told me about it as I had recommended the chips to her.

I have birds myself no broilers but some buffs and astrolops and sex links love my eggs myself more than the meat that's what the Roos are for too many Roos is more for the pot lol
I knew that you were confused as to what I was trying to get out I'm not the best at expressing in writing so my apologies.

I wonder why years ago nobody had all the allergies that there are now and if it isn't from meddling with everything that grows

Oooh, ooh, pick me! I can tell you why! Allergies are actually your immune system overreacting to the precense of foreign materials. As a result, it "attacks itself" and you get nasty symptoms. People in developed countries, where we are always really "clean" and our bodies don't have to deal with a lot of bacteria, get way more "allergies" than people in undeveloped or third-world countries. This is why i never buy anti-bacterial soap, and don't take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.
There was a really good news story on NPR about this one time. It was about a guy with such severe asthma/allergies that he intentionally walked around in the lagoons of third world countries until he contracted hookworms. It gave his body something else to attack instead of itself. He had no more allergies! Of course, he had to move to Europe when the US gov't went after him for telling his story and selling his worms on the internet. Here's the link:https://www.ksl.com/?nid=968&sid=20838871

Hook worms ahaha wow dude. His allergies must have been horrendous. Doctors now are treating allergies by slowly exposing you to incremental doses of the allergen, no parasites needed. Turns out there's a science behind people "out growing" their allergies, and it's the immune system getting used to the allergen and learning to recognize it as not a threat. Same reason eating local raw honey can hep if you have hay fever in the spring. The thing we were first trained into, to eliminate the sources of allergies entirely, turns out to be the wrong one. For the longest time I had terrible reactions to dandelion pollen and my parents completely eradicated them from our yard. But as a home owner I felt bad; they're such useful weeds, and one of the earliest bloomers for bees, so I decided sneezing and itchy eyes was worth it and just left them do their thing. It's been about 5 years and I can actually go pick the dang things and sniff them now.

I have birds myself no broilers but some buffs and astrolops and sex links love my eggs myself more than the meat that's what the Roos are for too many Roos is more for the pot lol
I knew that you were confused as to what I was trying to get out I'm not the best at expressing in writing so my apologies.

That makes sense! They probably taste good too lol and it's okay! :)

I wonder why years ago nobody had all the allergies that there are now and if it isn't from meddling with everything that grows

Oooh, ooh, pick me! I can tell you why! Allergies are actually your immune system overreacting to the precense of foreign materials. As a result, it "attacks itself" and you get nasty symptoms. People in developed countries, where we are always really "clean" and our bodies don't have to deal with a lot of bacteria, get way more "allergies" than people in undeveloped or third-world countries. This is why i never buy anti-bacterial soap, and don't take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.
There was a really good news story on NPR about this one time. It was about a guy with such severe asthma/allergies that he intentionally walked around in the lagoons of third world countries until he contracted hookworms. It gave his body something else to attack instead of itself. He had no more allergies! Of course, he had to move to Europe when the US gov't went after him for telling his story and selling his worms on the internet. Here's the link:https://www.ksl.com/?nid=968&sid=20838871

Hook worms ahaha wow dude.  His allergies must have been horrendous.  Doctors now are treating allergies by slowly exposing you to incremental doses of the allergen, no parasites needed.  Turns out there's a science behind people "out growing" their allergies, and it's the immune system getting used to the allergen and learning to recognize it as not a threat.  Same reason eating local raw honey can hep if you have hay fever in the spring.  The thing we were first trained into, to eliminate the sources of allergies entirely, turns out to be the wrong one.  For the longest time I had terrible reactions to dandelion pollen and my parents completely eradicated them from our yard.  But as a home owner I felt bad; they're such useful weeds, and one of the earliest bloomers for bees, so I decided sneezing and itchy eyes was worth it and just left them do their thing.  It's been about 5 years and I can actually go pick the dang things and sniff them now.

Wow, interesting conversation.

I was supposed to be allergic to cats, dogs, and gerbils, but we've always had cats and dogs and we had gerbils as a class pet in 3rd grade, and I outgrew my allergy. Now, that said, when we got Luna I was pretty allergic again for a while but I'm not so much now. But when she gets all up in my face I am still. We had never had a long haired cat before her, our other cat was short hair. So that's why I am still allergic and adjusting. She is 6 years old, turning 7 in August. And I think I might be a little bit allergic to the chickens. We got them fall 2015. And I still kind of get like bags under my eyes (though that could be from not enough sleep/dust in the house too) and I'm sure being out of the house might be better for me lol. But I'm not like runny eyes or sneezing or any allergic symptoms at all. Which is amazing cause I love animals lol but that said, I am sure if I had multiple dogs and cats, like I plan to eventually, then it would take some more adjusting and I'm not sure I could handle being in the house with that dander. But we will see. I also don't understand why I still haven't adjusted to Luna yet. But that's mostly cause the hair gets all stuck up my nose and in my mouth lol

Ha ha...I'm late to the party. I'm going to respectfully disagree on some points on allergies with a different perspective.

To answer the first and main question, my theory as to why we have more allergies is because of genetics. We are simply seeing more cancer, more allergies...more of whatever ailments because they are continually being passed down the family tree by dominant and recessive genes. People are no longer culled by disease. We continue to pass on genetic predisposition of faulty traits to our offspring and them to theirs and so on and so forth. Death and culling no longer keeps the human race strong. They wonder why certain areas are more prone to higher rates of specific diseases? I wonder if they've ever noted if that area is related by family tree. I live in an area where I'm related to everyone because all of my husband's family live here...lol.

1) I have allergies. I didn't know I had allergies when I was young...but I do now that I recognize the different signs better. No one took me to a doctor about anything. My grandparents had allergies show up later in life and there are family members on my Grandfathers side as well. My mother had allergies and my siblings have allergies. I have allergies. Our son has allergies. And my husband is now showing up with allergies. And NOW he gets what I've been saying all along...lol. Cancer runs in my grandmothers side of the family right down from my great grandmother...not the same varieties...but all the females usually die from cancer. I have diabetes, my grandfathers family had diabetes...and now my son already has issues with sugar in his teens.

And in all my years of raising sheep where I kept generations upon generations of specific lines of sheep...it was incredibly easy to track traits and faults as all my stock were registered purebreds. Everything from allergies to prolapsing to predisposition to eye infection...all traits I tracked and culled from the herd by culling entire lines. The predisposition to eye infection was recessive and skipped every second generation. It took a while to catch that one.

2) This may be a clean country...but I was a kid who slept in the pig troughs, (and yes they have pictures) who played outside all day, rode horses, played with wild baby birds, my rabbits and our chickens...you name it I was doing it and I was exposed to everything you can possibly imagine. I'm pretty sure the only time my hands were clean was before dinner and I know my hands weren't clean when we ate meals in the fields.

3) I went for years as an adult being injected with 100+ or so needles for food and inhalant allergies. For me...it didn't help. The last time I went was in the summer when my allergies are their worst and I spent 4 days in bed afterwards. Dying would have been easier.

I was incredibly allergic as a child to the live Christmas tree my family had one year...so much that my Grandmother threw it out the night it was put up. I now bed with shavings and have realized after waking up tone night hat the pain I feel is the same pain and awful feeling I had as a kid with the Christmas tree. The only thing that changed for me is that I noticed the allergies worse after having my son. The only thing that makes my allergies better is allergy medication and understanding allergies better so I can treat them better.

I think genetic faults are passed down. Sometimes they may be recessive and they just sit there. Other times I believe they are turned on by stresses to our system. My husband happens to have celiac disease, the real thing, and he was close to dying from malnutrition when he was 3. Since my husband has been an adult his paternal Grandfather found out he had celiac disease. For some reason it showed up (or people just became aware of it) in his later life which explains where it was passed down to my husband. They may also think my MIL may have it.

I think it's all genetics and sometimes environmental factors come along and give those faults in our genetics a push when our bodies are taxed. We used to get sick and die. Now we get sick and we get treated and we pass the genetic faults down to our offspring. And they pass it to their kids. And so forth. 4 children who each have four children, who then each have four children...That's 64 kids who carry the genes to get say...diabetes. Or allergies. Or cancer. Or MS.

Last edited:
Woah! The conversation went far these last few days. I feel out of date. I'm very lucky to have no allergies, but my mom is allergic to garlic. Garlic is in everything you least expect. I don't get to eat anything with it in it, and it is very annoying.

Honey garlic chicken wings are the best! That would be frustrating. I agree...when a person's monitoring a certain ingredient...its surprising how many food items can list that certain ingredient. :/

Back
Top Bottom