Dummy eggs, when to remove?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Volvo Farmer, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Volvo Farmer

Volvo Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    First, thanks for all the great help I have received on this forum.

I have 2 dummy eggs in a nest box. We didn't have wooden ones so these are made out of some sort of stone, like quartz. I was having problems getting the hens to lay in the nest box but they have been working great for the last 2 days. All the girls are laying in the nest box, and we came home to find 5 eggs yesterday (all in the same box of course)[​IMG].

I just wonder how long I should leave the dummy eggs in the nest box. The hens were laying on top of a bag of wood shavings before, and I removed it from the coop. They seem to be laying where I want them to now, Should I leave the dummies in there a few more days? or weeks? or forever?

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would give it a few more days so they are accustomed to always using that same spot.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I kept my fake eggs in the nest boxes for a couple months. I had to take a marker and write "FAKE" on the fake eggs, though, because they looked so realistic, it was hard to decide which eggs were real. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I never took my golf balls out. Some are 2+ years old; occasionally they lay somewhere else.

5. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    My chickens have an impression on their bottoms that says "Titlelist" because they have set on the golf balls that I put in there nest for so long. I still have some young pullets that haven't started laying yet and until they do, the others will just have to take up golf.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I 2nd this...my golf balls are still in the boxes

7. Frostymug

Frostymug Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Abingdon, VA
    I just installed the nest boxes, that makes eight boxes for twenty gals. They are fifteen to sixteen weeks old and we figured it was time to start putting the dummy eggs in. We're going to try the golf ball method. My question(s) is...how many? Should every box have one or two? Should it be more random with a couple in one and none in the next?

8. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I have pullets of different ages, most of which haven't started laying yet, so I doubt we'll be taking the easter eggs out of their boxes anytime soon. And Frostymug, one per box should do it.

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    It seems like I always have new girls coming to point of lay so I just leave the golf balls in there all the time,besides I'm still trying to figure out who keeps moving them around. They never bother the eggs unless broody but some body keeps moving the golf balls.

10. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Leave mine in all the time. Switch up on which boxes have them in though. I have to move them myself, the lazy hens never move them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by