Dutchmans pipe vine (toxic to chickens?)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by brittanyc, Nov 15, 2013.

1. brittanyc

brittanyc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    I am looking for a nice vine to cover part of my chicken run. I love the Dutchmans pipe vine but I have read it makes the caterpillars toxic and bitter so birds will not eat them. It doesn't say if it will hurt my chickens or not. Has anyone used this vine?

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I grow lots of toxic stuff. I don't know if the giant dutchman's pipe vine is toxic or not but the chickens don't bother them at all. I let mine free range all the time including turkeys, ducks, guineas, and geese. I wouldn't stick a green and growing toxic plant in their pen though because they will pick at anything green if its the only thing in there.

Here is a giant pipe vine flower. The long pink flower next to it (brugmansia) is 22 inches long to give you some perspective on just how large these flowers are lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    is morning glory pousiness to chickens i read it was and would like to let it grow up the wall of the coop.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe it is. Perhaps you can choose scarlet runner beans or cucumbers. There's a trailing nasturtium that would also be a good choice, though I'm not sure how good they are at climbing. What is your climate, soil, and sun exposure like?

5. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    hot summer winters above 10 degrees part shade would like something that will stand out pens about 7-8 feet tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by