Dyeing the chicks

Can't you just dye the chicks after they are born and blow dry them quickly. The lady that dyed a silky for a wedding got a beautiful hot, hot pink color.

Well today is dye day (hopefully not die day). I have my dyes pulled up in their syringes and in the incubator warming up to temp. I plan on injecting around 3 today. All I could get a hold of was a 22g needle, bigger than I wanted but will have to do. I am using the food dye I have which is propylene glycol based I hope it works okay. I plan on practicing injecting on a couple of refrigerated eggs before doing the real thing, I don't want to mess anything up. I decided to just do 3 eggs because the other 3 are slightly porus and one is a little different shaped. So I have 1 blue 1 red and 1 green wish me luck!

I have a feeling the reason behind the ban in California is too many kids would see a cute little colored chick, and convince mom or dad that they needed to take it home with them. Once the chick wasn't bright pink anymore, it would be 'set free' or dumped. So legislators who know nothing about chickens decided it would be easiest to ban it outright.
idunno.gif

With that said, if police in riot gear happen to storm your house looking for contraband poultry, I promise to help bail you out.
tongue2.gif

Looking forward to seeing the results of your eggsperiment!
jumpy.gif

Yeah I kind of chickened out at the last minute. I was too scared of hurting one. I did one egg with green dye and now the egg is solid black inside so I can't find any vains or anything with the flashlight (even right after the dye went in). So now I am just going to see if it hatches and if it does I may do more in the future. All the other eggs are developing well so we will see.

Quote:
You prob cant see anything because the egg is full of green dye. Sorry you chickened out, but at least you will have peace of mind. Make sure to post pics when you hatch a green chick. How old are the eggs?

i wish you all the luck in the world... I think they look cute... but I found this

Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

I hope your babies survive unharmed

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom