Dying poults

Aileen87

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2021
I recently purchased 6 Bourbon Red turkeys, they all arrived in good condition and alert. A few were a little sleepy but seemed to perk up as they settled into their home. On day 3 of having them (they were 5 days old) I came home and found one dead. I quickly removed it and spent a little extra time making sure they were all ok. I noticed another poult struggle to remain upright and tried to get it to drink but shortly after it had what I would describe as a seizure and died just a few minutes later. All other chicks were alert and seemed to be eating and drinking. Went to bed and woke up this morning to another two dead. One poult seemed lethargic so I gave sugar water and kept checking on it. It seemed to be doing ok, just a little slower than the other remaining poult. But after dinner I went to check and that one was dead. I’m now only left with one poult. I moved him into a different brooder for now and when stores open I plan to get a more permanent box, and maybe a few chicks so he’s not alone. I’m feeding Purina Game Bird 30% protein starter and the temperature has been pretty consistent about 100, had a few little dips to about 90 but once I noticed I corrected immediately. Any advice? Will the line poult be ok until I can get replacements? He’s super friendly and energetic, he comes running to my hand anytime I reach in.

100 degrees is a tad bit too warm. I generally do 90-95 the first week.

Turkey poults sometimes need you to show them the food and water throughout the day. I use my finger to tap while I peep. I also use glass rocks to draw them over and to peck at. Poults are hatched ready to learn. They don't have the instincts other poultry has. You need to make sure they are eating and drinking daily. Some get it right away some don't.

Were these shipped? Did you put any electrolytes or sugar in the water for a quick source of energy those first few days?

I recently purchased 6 Bourbon Red turkeys, they all arrived in good condition and alert. A few were a little sleepy but seemed to perk up as they settled into their home. On day 3 of having them (they were 5 days old) I came home and found one dead. I quickly removed it and spent a little extra time making sure they were all ok. I noticed another poult struggle to remain upright and tried to get it to drink but shortly after it had what I would describe as a seizure and died just a few minutes later. All other chicks were alert and seemed to be eating and drinking. Went to bed and woke up this morning to another two dead. One poult seemed lethargic so I gave sugar water and kept checking on it. It seemed to be doing ok, just a little slower than the other remaining poult. But after dinner I went to check and that one was dead. I’m now only left with one poult. I moved him into a different brooder for now and when stores open I plan to get a more permanent box, and maybe a few chicks so he’s not alone. I’m feeding Purina Game Bird 30% protein starter and the temperature has been pretty consistent about 100, had a few little dips to about 90 but once I noticed I corrected immediately. Any advice? Will the line poult be ok until I can get replacements? He’s super friendly and energetic, he comes running to my hand anytime I reach in.
100°F is too hot. If you are measuring this as an air temperature, the bedding is much hotter. I start my newly hatched poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. Some people start them at 95°F.

You did not mention what you are using for bedding. It is best not to have poults on wood chips for the first couple of weeks and they definitely need to have appropriately sized grit anytime they are kept on wood chips.

Sorry for your problems.

100 degrees is a tad bit too warm. I generally do 90-95 the first week.

Turkey poults sometimes need you to show them the food and water throughout the day. I use my finger to tap while I peep. I also use glass rocks to draw them over and to peck at. Poults are hatched ready to learn. They don't have the instincts other poultry has. You need to make sure they are eating and drinking daily. Some get it right away some don't.

Were these shipped? Did you put any electrolytes or sugar in the water for a quick source of energy those first few days?
Yes they were shipped, the company recommended 100 but I’ll make sure to raise the heat lamp a little to cool it down. I mixed a little apple cider vinegar in the water, no electrolytes. And gave them sugar water when they first arrived, but took that out after a little bit. I check on them often and always check to see if they were eating the first two that died almost never touched the food no matter what I did, the others I watched eat and drink with little issue. The one that died today was eating only about two hours before I found him dead.

Yes they were shipped, the company recommended 100 but I’ll make sure to raise the heat lamp a little to cool it down. I mixed a little apple cider vinegar in the water, no electrolytes. And gave them sugar water when they first arrived, but took that out after a little bit. I check on them often and always check to see if they were eating the first two that died almost never touched the food no matter what I did, the others I watched eat and drink with little issue. The one that died today was eating only about two hours before I found him dead.
Do not give ACV in the brooder. ACV has been proven to be harmful at high temperatures. Brooder temperatures are high temperatures.

100°F is too hot. If you are measuring this as an air temperature, the bedding is much hotter. I start my newly hatched poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. Some people start them at 95°F.

You did not mention what you are using for bedding. It is best not to have poults on wood chips for the first couple of weeks and they definitely need to have appropriately sized grit anytime they are kept on wood chips.

Sorry for your problems.
My thermometer is laying on the floor, but I moved the lamp up. The brooder I was using was fairly large so they were able to get away from the heat fairly easily. I’m using large wood shavings that they aren’t really able to eat. I’ve used it in the past for my chickens but I’ll check some other options in the morning.

My thermometer is laying on the floor, but I moved the lamp up. The brooder I was using was fairly large so they were able to get away from the heat fairly easily. I’m using large wood shavings that they aren’t really able to eat. I’ve used it in the past for my chickens but I’ll check some other options in the morning.
Turkey poults are not chickens and are very capable of nibbling off parts of large wood chips. Without having grit in their system, they cannot grind it up and can develop blockage from it.

Turkey poults are not chickens and are very capable of nibbling off parts of large wood chips. Without having grit in their system, they cannot grind it up and can develop blockage from it.
Good to know, this is my first year with turkeys. I will switch out the bedding and get some grit in there. The survivor is doing really well and has lots of energy, I’ve been trying to keep him company as much as possible

Back
Top Bottom