Early molting?

JustBabyMargo

Hatch-aholic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi! It’s starting to get colder and most of my (1 year and up) hens are either molting, molting soon, or done molting. But I’ve been noticing huge amounts of feathers in my polish coop too! They are only 7 months old but are losing feathers! I’ve seen them fall right off of their bodies! Are they just early molters? They have always been quick developers but I didn’t think they were going to be early for molting.🤷🏽‍♀️ We do have three (almost) 4 month old chicks in there with them but I’ve been seeing feather loss from my silvers (and I don’t have any silver polish chicks just white crested black and all black (crevecoeur). Thanks in advance for any help!😊
F8D1F94D-79F8-440B-AE94-BD2D82463C57.jpeg
E69DE562-6761-4323-B6C3-FFE13A5F1474.jpeg

Absolutely. Yes, the final juvenile molt can be almost as heavy as the first adult molt. There's no denying those pin feathers.

My two five-week olds are just now starting their first juvenile molt. It's funny finding their miniature feathers among the gallons of adult molt feathers from the rest of my flock.

Those are some stunning chickens you have.

Not early molt. It's the final juvenile molt. It can be as heavy as an adult molt, but without the baldness.

When they are finished, they will be shiny, new, and exquisitely stunning. They will impress you to tears with their feathery finery.
I have a couple birds going through this, & they do sometimes get bald areas that's full of pins.

Not early molt. It's the final juvenile molt. It can be as heavy as an adult molt, but without the baldness.

When they are finished, they will be shiny, new, and exquisitely stunning. They will impress you to tears with their feathery finery.
Wow really!? I had no idea they go through a final juvenile molt at this age! I thought it ended before they start laying! Thank you!❤️

Back
Top Bottom