Early morning attack, Please help!

Pics
So sorry for you and your girl :hugs

Chickens can have Aspirin for pain, but since we're not sure if she has any internal bleeding or anything a blood thinner probably isn't advised.

Is she able to move hear head/neck when she's fighting you during syringe time?

Ok that sounds like a good reason not to use it. I just went in and checked on her again and she was laying in the same position we put her in 2 hours ago, but her eyes were open and alert, so I took her out to do another syringe, her neck was just as floppy, but when I tried to open her beak she kicks, flaps and shakes her head. So yes when she wants me to leave her alone she does move it. I got her calmed down and proceeded to syringe her, just as I was finishing the 1ml she jumped over me and landed on the couch next to me with the syringe still down her throat and her head all twisted up. I pulled the syringe and picked her up, supported her head and she closed her eyes and went limp again. I held her for a bit and then put her back in her box.

Thank you, I'm just so broken hearted. I am praying so hard that she can recover.:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl
Well, if she can move everything, including her neck, I think we can safely conclude that her spine hasn't been severed, so recovery is possible.

It sucks that there's not more you can do in the meantime. I know that feeling. Just hang in there and keep up the fluids.

Let us know if she starts moving around at all. She's probably totally exhausted from the ordeal. I imagine she'll rest for quite a while.

Well, if she can move everything, including her neck, I think we can safely conclude that her spine hasn't been severed, so recovery is possible.

It sucks that there's not more you can do in the meantime. I know that feeling. Just hang in there and keep up the fluids.

Let us know if she starts moving around at all. She's probably totally exhausted from the ordeal. I imagine she'll rest for quite a while.

I sure hope that's the case with her spine. So my husband may be a genius LOL He uses oxygen at night and has these things called cannula's, it has a long hose kind of like a fish tank oxygen hose, but then there's a very thin soft hose that goes around the ears and attaches to the nose piece. If I can get that attached to the end of the syringe and down her esophagus would I be able to push the fluids faster and in general it would allow her to close her beak most of the way so maybe she would be more comfortable while doing it?

Try to see if you can wrap her in a towel so she doesn’t jump around like that and injure herself more.
Is she normally not handleable? Do you have any insight why she might be reacting to you handling her?

She does not normally like to be handled. I have tried the towel wrap several times and she fights her way out of it. For as weak as she seems she quite the fighter.

I sure hope that's the case with her spine. So my husband may be a genius LOL He uses oxygen at night and has these things called cannula's, it has a long hose kind of like a fish tank oxygen hose, but then there's a very thin soft hose that goes around the ears and attaches to the nose piece. If I can get that attached to the end of the syringe and down her esophagus would I be able to push the fluids faster and in general it would allow her to close her beak most of the way so maybe she would be more comfortable while doing it?

Ok maybe not, I just pulled it out of the pack and it is so soft I'm not sure I can guide it where it needs to go.

Lord have mercy. I have two of those. Worlds worst patient.
What you describe with the tubing is actually tube feeding, if you’ve heard of it. It may be more invasive than needed right now, but maybe not.
You have to make sure the tubing doesn’t scratch her throat as you will create a bigger problem. That tubing you mention may be a bit too stiff.
Most people use a 16 or 18 mm red rubber catheter with a larger syringe than 1ml.
I would prop her up as stated for the night and see how she’s doing in the morning before you take that step. Lots of chickens who get attacked, the neck thing is shock and they improve every day. She sure sounds like a fighter! You too!
ETA: sounds like the tubing is the opposite of scratchy!

Lord have mercy. I have two of those. Worlds worst patient.
What you describe with the tubing is actually tube feeding, if you’ve heard of it. It may be more invasive than needed right now, but maybe not.
You have to make sure the tubing doesn’t scratch her throat as you will create a bigger problem. That tubing you mention may be a bit too stiff.
Most people use a 16 or 18 mm red rubber catheter with a larger syringe than 1ml.
I would prop her up as stated for the night and see how she’s doing in the morning before you take that step. Lots of chickens who get attacked, the neck thing is shock and they improve every day. She sure sounds like a fighter! You too!
ETA: sounds like the tubing is the opposite of scratchy!

Right now I'm using a syringe about the size of a pencil or smaller. It holds 1ml and it takes about 10 min or more to empty it down her esophagus as I don't want to go to fast. I just thought if I could use that soft tubing that maybe it would make it easier on her, but like I said its so soft I am not sure I can guide it where it needs to go. Is it bad to allow her to lay on her side with her head supported? She seems the most comfortable that way.

Back
Top Bottom