Early Scaly Leg Mites?

Grey Gables

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Ohio
Hi, I have a couple young Light Brahmas (~19 weeks). I’ve recently noticed the scales on their legs look a little bumpy/raised. These are my first Brahmas, so unsure if it’s related to feathers coming in on their legs or if I’ve caught scaly leg mites early(ish)? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

F2A81B20-E57D-4B5E-870A-CC276170B6AC.jpeg

7285F884-F313-46D1-8EBC-56EB0563470F.jpeg

They look a bit dry and beat up. Sometimes feathered footed birds can have some slight raising of the scales due to the feathers.

I'd work some ointment, oil, vaseline, etc. into the scales of the legs and feet weekly to help moisturize and heal them.

What do you feed?

They look a bit dry and beat up. Sometimes feathered footed birds can have some slight raising of the scales due to the feathers.

I'd work some ointment, oil, vaseline, etc. into the scales of the legs and feet weekly to help moisturize and heal them.

What do you feed?
Hi! Thanks for weighing in. They were on Purina Start & Grow Crumbles until 18 weeks, and now they're on Kalmbach Hi Omegga Layer Pellets (what my older hens eat). Plus they have access to grass, etc.

Back
Top Bottom