Easiest grass to grow?

wallawu

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2016
Good afternoon! I have 7 ducks in a backyard with very compacted soil full of rocks that a heavy rear tine tiller just jumped around on. I really don't want to rent anything heavier than that. Different grasses grow in different spots, but it seems the little stickers are sprinkled in all over. Now that winter is starting to finally move into AR, I have a few months to plan. Is there a grass that will take hold and really smother out the stickers and make the yard more uniform? The ducks don't really mess it up, but if we leave their water bucket or pool in one spot for more than a day or two it kills the grass underneath for the rest of the season. Most of the yard gets at least 6 hours of sun a day in the summer except for edges due to the tree line on 3 sides. I'm not a grass guy, so I really don't know where to begin. I appreciate any help!

Sorry I can't be much help to you. I'm in a far different climate. I'd suggest that you call your county agricultural extension office (or email them) with your description of the area you are trying to improve, and see what they have to suggest. I don't know if it's too far into the cold season for you to get a stand of winter rye going. You might consider winter rye, or do some spring legumes. Perhaps you can get a couple of stands of buckwheat going as soon as the weather settles. What is your long term goal for this area, how big is it, are you able to add water? An other option that you might want to consider is Back to Eden.
Unfortunately, if your goal is to turn this area into a nice lush lawn, you have a lot of work ahead of you. If you can settle for green, and semi flat, mowable, you should be able to get most of the rocks removed with hours of labor, a good wheel barrow, and dragging a weighted bed spring or something similar to help level things out.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. With plenty of water, grass grows, but it's about 10 different kinds of grasses, weeds, and moss. It's green and I have to mow it, I just want it to look more uniform and get rid of the stickers. The rocks are below the surface, but not too far below, so tilling is tough. So, I'm trying to find grass that will grow in more compact soil, and kind of take over the yard rather than have different grass at the top, middle, and bottom of the yard.

EDIT: The yard is around 100ft X 50

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom