East RIver - South Dakota

I don't know about Sioux Falls but there is a peafowl breeder in Tyson, SD and I believe he does ship peafowl. You can find his contact info on the breeders page of The United Peafowl Association's website.

I raise peafowl here in Idaho, Indian Blues and Whites, and I moving back to Brookings but I can't bring chicks with me unfortunately. If I could I could help you out. 

Wow! Sounds like a great plan! It is pretty hot still. I prefer to pick up birds anyway so I can see the birds and where they live and. Plus I'm also looking to purchase a laying white peafowl and I don't know anyone who ships adult birds (they seem to stress alot more.) There is no one nearby that breeds peafowl in and around Sioux Falls. I was hoping to get started but we just lost our peahen to what we think had something to do with egg binding. Tried everything but it wasn't enough. Do you breed you Indian Blues and Whites together or keep them separate? If so, what kind of chicks do you get? I'm just getting into peafowl genetics and it is so comiplicated!

Wow! Sounds like a great plan! It is pretty hot still. I prefer to pick up birds anyway so I can see the birds and where they live and. Plus I'm also looking to purchase a laying white peafowl and I don't know anyone who ships adult birds (they seem to stress alot more.) There is no one nearby that breeds peafowl in and around Sioux Falls. I was hoping to get started but we just lost our peahen to what we think had something to do with egg binding. Tried everything but it wasn't enough. Do you breed you Indian Blues and Whites together or keep them separate? If so, what kind of chicks do you get? I'm just getting into peafowl genetics and it is so comiplicated!

I keep them separate. I prefer to try and keep pure lines so people don't get surprises. I get Indian Blue peachicks and I will hopefully get White chicks next year. I didn't get any fertile eggs this year. The male will be 3 years in Spring 2017. Was hoping he would breed successfully but the eggs I incubated were infertile. Hopefully next year I can get some to hatch. This time of year all peafowl will get stressed out from the heat and moving. When they're around 6 months or older they ship a lot easier than newly hatched chicks. Newly hatched chicks stress very easily.

Oops I messed up. Not Tyson, Tyndall, South Dakota. Sorry I messed up. The farm is called South Dakota Peafowl, they own Indian Blue, Indian Blue Pied, White, and Cameo peafowl. Here's the link.http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/breeders/#SD

When you breed and Indian Blue to a White you get an Indian Blue split to White. They will have a couple white primary feathers. If you breed them to an Indian Blue split to White or White you get White peachicks. If you bred them to an Indian Blue split to Pied you could possibly get Pied peachicks.

I keep them separate. I prefer to try and keep pure lines so people don't get surprises. I get Indian Blue peachicks and I will hopefully get White chicks next year. I didn't get any fertile eggs this year. The male will be 3 years in Spring 2017. Was hoping he would breed successfully but the eggs I incubated were infertile. Hopefully next year I can get some to hatch. This time of year all peafowl will get stressed out from the heat and moving. When they're around 6 months or older they ship a lot easier than newly hatched chicks. Newly hatched chicks stress very easily.

Oops I messed up. Not Tyson, Tyndall, South Dakota. Sorry I messed up. The farm is called South Dakota Peafowl, they own Indian Blue, Indian Blue Pied, White, and Cameo peafowl. Here's the link.http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/breeders/#SD 

When you breed and Indian Blue to a White you get an Indian Blue split to White. They will have a couple white primary feathers. If you breed them to an Indian Blue split to White or White you get White peachicks. If you bred them to an Indian Blue split to Pied you could possibly get Pied peachicks.

Thanks for the link! Tyndall is not a bad distance from me at all. Definitely pick up distance. My Indian blue is split to white so I wanted a white hen to get white chicks. My peahen that died was split to bronze. What would their chicks have been? And how do you get a pied? Is it always necessary to have an pied bird to start with or can one reach that point by breeding certain colors? I think it'should a good idea to keep birds separated like you do though. Nice to not have any surprises.

A good place to pick up peafowl is at the Game Breeder's swap on Sept. 17th in Hutchinson MN. Generally close to 1000 people there and lots of the ornamental pheasants, ducks, peafowl etc in addition to regular poultry, pigeons, small animals, and vendors with supplies. You'll usually see people from several different states there... Another person to check with is Randy Krueger (Spectrum Ranch) from Pukwana SD. If he doesn't have any available, his brother probably does or he knows someone around that does. A few times a year he hosts a big exotic auction in Platte SD called the One of a Kind Sale.

Just a heads up... If you are getting birds in from out of state, SD requires them to be NPIP and have an import permit on file with them in advance. If you truly are interested in some cool varieties and are willing to spend a minor fortune, check out Leggs Peafowl from Kansas (not sure if we can post their website on here, but can google it).

A good place to pick up peafowl is at the Game Breeder's swap on Sept. 17th in Hutchinson MN. Generally close to 1000 people there and lots of the ornamental pheasants, ducks, peafowl etc in addition to regular poultry, pigeons, small animals, and vendors with supplies. You'll usually see people from several different states there... Another person to check with is Randy Krueger (Spectrum Ranch) from Pukwana SD. If he doesn't have any available, his brother probably does or he knows someone around that does. A few times a year he hosts a big exotic auction in Platte SD called the One of a Kind Sale.

Just a heads up... If you are getting birds in from out of state, SD requires them to be NPIP and have an import permit on file with them in advance. If you truly are interested in some cool varieties and are willing to spend a minor fortune, check out Leggs Peafowl from Kansas (not sure if we can post their website on here, but can google it).
Brad Legg has some amazing birds. It's nice to here others that know his name. He's considered the king of colors in the peafowl world. He has every color mutation and pattern mutation in the Indian Blue area. He does have some pattern mutations to each color but not all. He also has some Spaldings as well.

The only state that will allow birds to be shipped in across state line without NPIP Certification is Hawaii if I remember correctly, or if they haven't changed any regulations yet. Other than that all poultry being shipped across state lines must be NPIP Certified.

Thanks for the link! Tyndall is not a bad distance from me at all. Definitely pick up distance. My Indian blue is split to white so I wanted a white hen to get white chicks. My peahen that died was split to bronze. What would their chicks have been? And how do you get a pied? Is it always necessary to have an pied bird to start with or can one reach that point by breeding certain colors? I think it'should a good idea to keep birds separated like you do though. Nice to not have any surprises.

You would get Indian Blue, Indian Blue split to White, and Indian Blue split to Bronze chicks. To get Pied you need one Pied allele and one White allele. Possible ways to get a Pied would include:
Pied x Pied = Dark Pied, Pied, and White. (Dark Pied look like split to Pied or White birds but genetically contain to Pied alleles and know White alleles.)
Pied x White = Pied and White
Indian Blue Split to Pied x White = Pied and Indian Blue split to White
Indian Blue split to Pied x Indian Blue split to White = Indian Blue, Indian Blue split to White, Indian Blue split to Pied, and Pied.

Brad Legg has some amazing birds. It's nice to here others that know his name. He's considered the king of colors in the peafowl world. He has every color mutation and pattern mutation in the Indian Blue area. He does have some pattern mutations to each color but not all. He also has some Spaldings as well.

The only state that will allow birds to be shipped in across state line without NPIP Certification is Hawaii if I remember correctly, or if they haven't changed any regulations yet. Other than that all poultry being shipped across state lines must be NPIP Certified.

Hawaii was one of the worst states to try and ship to.... Last time I tried it was a 20+ page application for their import permit and tons of different type of blood testing than is required here. Usually for most sales here, proof of pullorum testing on poultry is good enough. Last time I checked, they wanted AI certification, MS/MG testing, and a certificate of vet inspection. They don't want to introduce any disease to their habitat, even if it means lack of diversity. After that big AI scare last year, a lot of states changed their regulations too. I know MN, SD, GA, MO, VA, NC, IL and IA now require import permits and MANY require at least a CVI. NC and VA are pretty sticky with their additional AI certification... chicks can be from certified flock, but adults have to be tested within 10 days of shipment. They had a website up on the Guinea fowl site, but states are changing so much that it never hurts to call the incoming state's board of animal health before shipping.

My mom is guilty of buying all sorts of colors of peafowl every time she can get her hands on new colors. Only problem is that she lets them all run together so nothing is pure on resulting chicks.... Charcoal, cameo, oaten, white eyed, pieds, silver pieds, BS, IB, and whites. The only ones I've seen her turn down so far were some peach and purples at the sales up here. Never seen a java survive up here.... There's quite a few people over here in MN that have peafowl...its just usually IB and BS, with a few whites.

Hawaii was one of the worst states to try and ship to.... Last time I tried it was a 20+ page application for their import permit and tons of different type of blood testing than is required here. Usually for most sales here, proof of pullorum testing on poultry is good enough. Last time I checked, they wanted AI certification, MS/MG testing, and a certificate of vet inspection. They don't want to introduce any disease to their habitat, even if it means lack of diversity. After that big AI scare last year, a lot of states changed their regulations too. I know MN, SD, GA, MO, VA, NC, IL and IA now require import permits and MANY require at least a CVI. NC and VA are pretty sticky with their additional AI certification... chicks can be from certified flock, but adults have to be tested within 10 days of shipment. They had a website up on the Guinea fowl site, but states are changing so much that it never hurts to call the incoming state's board of animal health before shipping.

My mom is guilty of buying all sorts of colors of peafowl every time she can get her hands on new colors. Only problem is that she lets them all run together so nothing is pure on resulting chicks.... Charcoal, cameo, oaten, white eyed, pieds, silver pieds, BS, IB, and whites. The only ones I've seen her turn down so far were some peach and purples at the sales up here. Never seen a java survive up here.... There's quite a few people over here in MN that have peafowl...its just usually IB and BS, with a few whites.

Interesting. Also give her fair warning to be cautious when buying Green peafowl. A lot of times people will see "Java Green peafowl for sale" and end up buying a Spalding instead of a Java Green. If you ever wish to know on how to learn the differences or if she would like to know some good sources for Green peafowl I can give a couple names. I've seen some Spaldings here in Idaho being claimed as Java Green. Green peafowl don't do well in temps below 40 degrees. People that own them in colder climates have heated roosts and heated coops.

When I'm done with college I would like to be raising and breeding Indian Blue, Indian Blue Black Shoulder, Indian Blue Pied, Indian Blue Silver Pied, White, Cameo, Purple, Peach, Bronze, Charcoal, Opal, Violeta, Taupe, and Pavo muticus muticus. I would like to have 3 males and 6 hens of each variety, then separate them into pens of one male and two hens. The Charcoal I'm iffy on. Right now the hens are still sterile so I'm debating on should I wait until the variety improves before buying them, or should I try to improve the variety.

On the topic of Charcoal peafowl, I'm hoping to, rather at South Dakota State University or Washington State University (I'm hoping to go to WSU for vet school), to do DNA tests on the Charcoal variety to see what causes the hens to be sterile. If it's possible to breed it out by breeding outwards, or if that's what the gene causes and that the peafowl breeders that want fertile black peafowl should try to breed another gene for black that doesn't cause sterile birds.

I have a friend down in NC that raises charcoal and will have to pick her brain on that variety... There used to be an old guy here from my home town that had a huge setup for peafowl and ornamental pheasants. His grandson pretty much took it over when grandpa passed and most of the birds have been liquidated now. I had the chance to go out there last year when he was selling a bunch... Its normally my mom buying the peafowl, but this time I bought myself a birthday present. 3 year old charcoal male and a older silver pied hen for only $400....

You sound a lot like me, only 20+ years ago. I also went to SDSU in Brookings for pre-vet. Went for 5 years and graduated with majors in biology and animal science, minors in chemistry and zoology. Then I interned for a year and a half and never finished out my DVM.... Love animals, love science, and had every intention to be a large animal vet! That career can be heartbreaking in what you see and deal with every day though. It also really puts into perspective the difference between just a job and a career. A job doesn't engulf your entire life like a vet's does. You don't have much time for your own life at all (or animals for that matter) because your whole day is spent caring for everyone else's. What you see on shows like Animal Cops is a reality.... Sometimes the people that love their animals the most simply don't have the money to properly care for them (or get care for them if something happens). Its often times the people with most disposable income that treat their animals as nothing more than eye candy and have them put down when they lose their purpose. Ever wonder what happens to a lot of animals?....hunting prospects that won't retrieve or turn up gun shy, those pretty maltese or shitzu's that are too matted up to be pretty puppies any more, people going on vacation and don't want the hassle of boarding their animals.... You name it and you will see it. One of my first cases when interning was a gal just 6 miles up the highway from me that left 52 horses and 13 dogs to starve to death. It wasn't just a couple years later that the court system let her have more again too.... Even in the clinic, I didn't have the heart to see perfectly healthy animals put to sleep any given day of the week. On the flip side too, there were owners that should have put animals down that were obviously suffering and had no hope either. I couldn't do it....

Just a lil over a month ago it came time for my annual hatchery inspection. Here in MN its getting to the point you pretty much have that status to sell anything under 4 months of age or take anything to shows/swaps without too much of a hassle. My regular district vet is retiring and was training in his replacement, so it was both of them here this time. This new gal was mighty familiar....I shadowed under her 20+ years ago. She's a cattle vet so has to learn about birds now.

I have a friend down in NC that raises charcoal and will have to pick her brain on that variety... There used to be an old guy here from my home town that had a huge setup for peafowl and ornamental pheasants. His grandson pretty much took it over when grandpa passed and most of the birds have been liquidated now. I had the chance to go out there last year when he was selling a bunch... Its normally my mom buying the peafowl, but this time I bought myself a birthday present. 3 year old charcoal male and a older silver pied hen for only $400....

You sound a lot like me, only 20+ years ago. I also went to SDSU in Brookings for pre-vet. Went for 5 years and graduated with majors in biology and animal science, minors in chemistry and zoology. Then I interned for a year and a half and never finished out my DVM.... Love animals, love science, and had every intention to be a large animal vet! That career can be heartbreaking in what you see and deal with every day though. It also really puts into perspective the difference between just a job and a career. A job doesn't engulf your entire life like a vet's does. You don't have much time for your own life at all (or animals for that matter) because your whole day is spent caring for everyone else's. What you see on shows like Animal Cops is a reality.... Sometimes the people that love their animals the most simply don't have the money to properly care for them (or get care for them if something happens). Its often times the people with most disposable income that treat their animals as nothing more than eye candy and have them put down when they lose their purpose. Ever wonder what happens to a lot of animals?....hunting prospects that won't retrieve or turn up gun shy, those pretty maltese or shitzu's that are too matted up to be pretty puppies any more, people going on vacation and don't want the hassle of boarding their animals.... You name it and you will see it. One of my first cases when interning was a gal just 6 miles up the highway from me that left 52 horses and 13 dogs to starve to death. It wasn't just a couple years later that the court system let her have more again too.... Even in the clinic, I didn't have the heart to see perfectly healthy animals put to sleep any given day of the week. On the flip side too, there were owners that should have put animals down that were obviously suffering and had no hope either. I couldn't do it....

Just a lil over a month ago it came time for my annual hatchery inspection. Here in MN its getting to the point you pretty much have that status to sell anything under 4 months of age or take anything to shows/swaps without too much of a hassle. My regular district vet is retiring and was training in his replacement, so it was both of them here this time. This new gal was mighty familiar....I shadowed under her 20+ years ago. She's a cattle vet so has to learn about birds now.

That's a great deal!

I've seen some of those shows. A lot of them are sad. When looking at the vet field that's the one biggest issue I'll have is dealing with an animal that's been neglected or abused, if I do.

That's going to be a big change. It's good though that's she's learning about birds. When 2017 roles around the people in the poultry area will suffer a lot more if they don't turn towards all natural remedies.

Back
Top Bottom