Easter egger and buff orpington behaviors

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
I am thinking on getting easter eggers and buff orpingtons. I know every chicken has its own personality, but in general, how do they act?

I am going to be picking up some Araucanas in March, so I am really interested to hear about their behavior, too.
pop.gif

I'm pretty new to chickens - got ours last summer, and they started laying in December. We LOVE our buff orpington - a big beautiful and very friendly bird. She scares some visitors because she is so happy to see us that she runs straight at us. Unfortunately, she is now broody (which is why I'm on here today). Best of luck - its an awesome hobby.

I have 2 BO's that are 1 yr old and I like their demeanor but am disapointed with their egg-laying, I have 4, 1 yr olds and have had only 1 four-egg day but I know that my RIR and BR lay almost every day. Last Oct. I got an EE and an Amerucana that are now 22 wks old and I like them a lot. The EE gave us her first egg yesterday and 1 today too, both in the nesting box. Since they are younger and smaller than the big girls they get chased and pecked on now and then so they see me as their protector and will fly up on my shoulder when I go in the run, they like attention and I am happy to give it to them when I have the time to linger.

my EE are great birds, they are by far my favorites. most of mine are pretty friendly, some will come and jump up on my lap or shoulder and then I have those that won't get that friendly. One of mine actually like to he held and will cuddle and fall asleep while I'm holding her. Mine are pretty reliable layers and I've never seen any signs of aggression amongst my birds (they're free range though) Overall I would highly recommend them, green eggs are cool too
yesss.gif

I have 6 BO & 3 EE, both are 9 month old. My BO are the nosiest when it comes to the egg song. If another hen is on the nest she wants, all you hear is squawking. And when they lay an egg, the whole neighborhood can hear that she laid an egg. My hubby mimics her, "Come look, I pooped an egg!" Both are excellent egg layers, my EE loves to come into the house to get a treat. And when I call "Here Chick Chick Chick!" The BO are running & flapping their wings to try to beat the other hens to get to me.

Last edited:
Haha! My buffs always tell me when they lay, too
lau.gif
! I have two and they are about a year old. My husband was so surprised the first time he heard the one, Cora, squawking. He freaked thinking there was a raccoon or something in the coop and I was like, "oh, no, she just layed an egg" and sure enough. Every time they go nuts until you come out and get it! I love them, though. I also have araucanas, americaunas, polish, welsummers and a few other mixed breeds and the buff orpingtons have the BEST demeanor! They have always been super sweet and affectionate. They are always content to be carried around or talked to. In fact, I run a home preschool and all the kids just LOVE Large Marge and Cora to death because they will both eat worms or grass right out of the kids hands. I usually get about 5 or 6 eggs a week from each of them. They both take at least one day off, sometimes two. Everyone needs a break
smile.png

My araucanas and americaunas are a mixed basket. Some of them are sweet and will come up to you and eat out of your hands while others are more reserved. Those ones tend to like to be left alone and will only come to you if you have some greens in your hand for them. I dont know why they are like that? Good, big, green eggs from the araucanas. Usually 5-7 a week from each.

They act like all my other chickens.
big_smile.png
While all of ours are friendly (don't try to eat outside, because they will hop up in your lap and eat off your plate); some are singers and some aren't. They didn't start laying as soon as or as regularly as my BRs, but the BRs are a bit pushy and bossy (even though my one BO is the flock mistress) when it comes to food.

All of ours are friendly, fwiw, but we have handled them a lot since we got them as chicks. If we leave the back door open, they will ALL come wandering inside to see what we're doing....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom