Easter Egger club!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EastinChickens, Jun 18, 2010.

1. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    [​IMG]Cockerel I asked about a few days ago. He is a bit rotten so his name is Fester. I noticed tonight he has itty bitty spurs,with points. None of my EEs from last year had them.Its way too early for them right?? I have named white n black male Gomez.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    [​IMG]Lurch, banty EE.Three rows on comb n tiny spur bumps.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. MandaMunky

MandaMunky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Call my silly, but what are twinkie girls? Is that their name? Color scheme? Whatever it means they sure are cute!!!

4. katatonic123

katatonic123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Twinkies as in look the same. We always wanted to be twinkies with our best friends in high school by wearing the same or at least matching clothes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I have a little band of EEs. run by a blue roo called Blue .He may be an EE too Half Orp as he has the big comb
    He leads his girls out of the fenced area of the yard so the other roos dont pick on them.3 of the girls are EEs and 2 are Lavender Amercaunas
    Its cute to watch how mad he gets if another roo gets near them He bluck bluck blucks loudly and chases them. A couple girls are missing here as they are broody right now ....a white with a black dots on her and another all lavender.
    The black and white guy in front is a hanger on.This is about how close Blue lets him get. He wants to be part of the IN group but Blue wont let him.

By the way as you may know they dont have to have tufts to lay green eggs. I meet so many people think they do! [​IMG][​IMG]
    The girls arent named.
    Black girl lays green eggs .Her back is picked on by the other roos when she goes in the yard .Other than that shes very pretty.Her Dad is part English Orpington roo why shes fluffy

6. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Sorry quoted wrong person ....KABHYPER....REALLY love her color white with reddish is that called wheaton? What are her parents do you know?

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    OMGosh everyone a different amount ..that helps!! i read 5 to make sure they are all fertile
    12 and 17 seem like a lot to me to get everyone fertile ...wear that guy out But i know that for a FACT the fertility can last for 5 weeks or more. from one roo..Its happened more than once to me
    . So maybe its true. 17 or 12.....IDK.
    I have 4 LO hens with my LO roo and get about 11 of 12 fertile eggs somtimes all 12.

8. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    OH fertility way more than a week!!
    I had a Light Brahma roo die and the hens still in the coop alone . I collected and set eggs after he died for a few weeks and was getting chicks from eggs i collected at least 3 weeks after he died

.Also Sold some Lavender Orp eggs recently to some people and had put my new LO roo in with the girl s 4 or 5 weeks before BUT During the winter a rogue roo would sleep in there with them as the old LO roo died last fall.. So i waited 3 or 4 week before i sold the eggs and the lady STILL got 2 or 3 black or black and silver chicks out of 7 or 8 that hatched. from my LO hens.!! GUH..

LOs breed true lavender every time so couldnt be all LO. So I think fertility is a lot longer than a week.
    By the way i reimbursed her 6 eggs free from my LOs..... my fault didnt wait long enough to sell.. was so embarassed ......Lesson learned.

2 people like this.
  9. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I think others on here know more than me but Ill put my 2 cents in...[​IMG] ...maybe your right about your nice sweet roo you know well...however I have a lot of extra roos running around my place cant seem to sell them even for meat and dont want to on most too sweet and pretty... ...Im too soft...anyway they all get along pretty well not many mean fighter...BUT i have raised each one from an egg and a few of my favs got mean later
    Once you give them hens to protect..thats what they do.dont mean to be nasty
    They want to protect the lades and so can attack if you come near.That said..... most of mine with ladies ARENT mean and havent gotten mean .Hard to tell who will until they have ladies around. Hopefully your guy will be a good one.most are ... just saying it can happen so be prepared in case.

About the fertile eggs If you want to set them it may be disappointing to set 10 eggs and get only a chick or two after waiting 3 weeks because the rest are infertile. ..but maybe will work out for you . Depends what you want to have fertile eggs for.
    Selling hatching eggs...you have to have them covered well. a MUST.You wont know until you candle some see how many are fertile once the chick inside starts to grow.Cant tell until then unfortunately.

10. MommaHen77

MommaHen77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    USA
    I have Six EE and Two Golden Laced Wyandotte, they all about 2 weeks old now and then I have some older Chicks they are 5 Black langshan and 3 Barred Rocks and they all getting use to me and all of my chicks are doing awesome. my one chick who I named Dizzy it is blind in one eye but doing great. I can't wait to get eggs from my girls. I kght have a few Roos from the EE not sure yet. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by