Easter Egger club!

No, if you want an Olive Egger you need to breed a blue egg layer with a DARK brown layer, and even then I'm not sure all of the offspring will be OEs. Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy as mixing paint.

I was not trying for OE . Just sharing my results to let her know Brahma was not a good choice for OE . Which you helped clarify .
thumbsup.gif
My wife says I do not always make my meaning clear .

LF crosses . Dark Brahma x Legbar crossed EE hens . Top pic pullets . The very light ones came from mahogany red hens . Darker stripes are a better defined . Lower right is possibly a cockerel . Just not sure on that one .
These should be cockerels because red and silver are sex linked . So the dark chicks have mahogany red = cockerel . Lighter striped chicks have blurry striped pattern = cockerel .

I'm not sure that's right. I'm no expert, so hopefully one will chime in. I thought only the hens could to be silver based for chicks to be sex linked. Is there another trick to it I don't know about when it comes to Easter Eggers? If so I would love to know for sure! My silver based hens are Cuckoo Marans and I've done enough cuckoo pattern crosses so would like get something else.

Beautiful chicks by the way!

Last edited:

I am using more than 1 method to sex these . Since the rooster is silver all pullets will be pure for silver . Males will carry silver and gold from the hens as in golden duckwing . This can make them hard to sex as the difference between silver and golden duckwing can be hard to detect . So anything showing red is male and from the red hens . The pullets from the red hens are nearly white looking as they inherit silver only from the male . sex linked. I learned from raising Legbars that males have a blurry striped pattern and females markings are well defined or crisp . Since I only want pullets from this hatch I gave the cockerels away to someone to raise for meat . There could be a error in my sexing but I have greatly reduced the chance of cockerels . Many of the breeding hens are barred from having Legbar in the mix . However I see no head spots on single barred males . Not unusual as single barred Legbar pullets are often lacking a head spot as chicks . Something about the striped chick pattern I guess .

I am using more than 1 method to sex these . Since the rooster is silver all pullets will be pure for silver . Males will carry silver and gold from the hens as in golden duckwing . This can make them hard to sex as the difference between silver and golden duckwing can be hard to detect . So anything showing red is male and from the red hens . The pullets from the red hens are nearly white looking as they inherit silver only from the male . sex linked. I learned from raising Legbars that males have a blurry striped pattern and females markings are well defined or crisp . Since I only want pullets from this hatch I gave the cockerels away to someone to raise for meat . There could be a error in my sexing but I have greatly reduced the chance of cockerels . Many of the breeding hens are barred from having Legbar in the mix . However I see no head spots on single barred males . Not unusual as single barred Legbar pullets are often lacking a head spot as chicks . Something about the striped chick pattern I guess .
OMG! I don't know how you keep that all straight!
bow.gif
I am new to trying to understand the complexity of genetics. Just when I think I have a tiny grasp on it....I find I don't at all! I'm envious of those of you that do. Ugh...maybe someday
hu.gif

I added just one E.E. this year cause I had too many other breeds to add to my flock but just loooove those fun eggs and spastic birds. Anxious to seeif I get a new color scheme.
her new flockmates behind her are pretty cute....some cochins, D'uccle, Polish and a wyandotte edged out more E.E. this year.

Last edited:
I added just one E.E. this year cause I had too many other breeds to add to my flock but just loooove those fun eggs and spastic birds. Anxious to seeif I get a new color scheme. her new flockmates behind her are pretty cute....some cochins, D'uccle, Polish and a wyandotte edged out more E.E. this year.

I'm not a fan of Wyans unless they're bantam. And I love your description of the loveable EEs as "spastic." That does describe them well and describes the pure Ameraucanas well also. Sweet sweet birds! But then, I love the gentle timid birds that don't go around picking fights on weaker flockmates.

Hey are these two EEs? Pinkish and greenish eggs. He said Amer.but they only lay blue I think. I'm hoping they're EE
they are Easter eggers. Ameracauna only lay blue/green and have a breed standard to go by. Most people do not know the difference between ameracauna and Easter eggers. Mainly thanks to the hatcheries labeling them as americana. They spell it differently and most do not know any better.

they are Easter eggers. Ameracauna only lay blue/green and have a breed standard to go by. Most people do not know the difference between ameracauna and Easter eggers. Mainly thanks to the hatcheries labeling them as americana. They spell it differently and most do not know any better.

Okay thanks!

Back
Top Bottom