Easter Egger Pullet or Cockerel?

anmalg14

In the Brooder
May 1, 2017
Georgia
Hello!

I have a group of chicks that are 5 weeks old now. They were all sexed as pullets by the hatchery but one of them has me concerned it may be a cockerel. What are your thoughts about this white easter egger girl/guy? His comb is no larger than some of the other chicks at this age and it doesn't appear to have more pink in it than theirs but he kind of has the "rooster look" and I am thinking I see three rows on the comb?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    663.3 KB · Views: 51
The first photo with the red light makes it impossible to see if that is the true color. Others photos don't look like that. But I would watch how that develops and also looks like it is starting to get red color over the wings - which is the sign of a male generally.

Please post new photos at 8-10 weeks unless by then comb is large & red and you can figure it out yourself.

Way too young to tell. But i will tell you this. I've have a couple of pure white EEs before and all turned out to be hens. I don't think i've even seen an all white EE rooster before but again, Wayy too young. When it does get old and a red-ish tan or just a dark tan color starts to appear on the wings that usually indicates a cockerel.

It's very likely a cockerel. You really have to look to see it in these photos but there is brick red coming in on the mid wing. This combined with the appearance of the comb makes me pretty darned sure it's a male.

Hey everybody,

Here are a couple new pictures of the chick in question. She/he is almost 9 weeks old now. Her personality still points to either very bossy hen or rooster. Her comb has a slight touch of pink but not really any more than the others. There is another one that I am questioning of the same age and so posted pictures of her/him too.

Side question: I notice that she has thinning feathers over her throat that have stayed about the same for a week or two. I can see some pin feathers underneath- she and one other easter egger chick in question are the two that are usually instigating battles in the group so could it be from fighting?

Thank you so much!!

IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0503.jpg IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0513.jpg IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom