Everyone is 50/50 on whether this is a pullet or cockerel 😂

16 weeks. Still crowing. Still acting like a hen.

We've officially renamed them Pip, as it's a name that'll stick either way. 😂 They only crow occasionally, and are pretty quiet when they do crow. Sooooo, we are waiting to see if they decide to lay eggs or not before we definitively rehome.

I have no idea, guys. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Still so 50/50 on this.
Looks like a girl!
Are you sure you are hearing a crow from it?
Can you record it making the sound?

Hey everyone!

Cleo has made it through her awkward phase and most definitely looks a hen these days. (We've changed her name like 80 times by now 😂 back to the OG name tho, now that we're confident she's a hen and have been able to spend more time with her.)

She's nearly 18 weeks old (I think?), so hopefully will start laying end of this month, into next?

I'll still update this thread when she lays an egg, but I'm confident she's a crowing pullet these days. :)

As far as the crow, I can't record it. By the time I get close enough to do so, she's done. It's not daily, and it's only once if she does, and it's like maybe once every two weeks. So it's very rare, but it's most definitely a full crow. My older barnevelder that crows does a weird little half crow, and Cleo's sounds nothing like it. And I have seen her crow with my own eyes. 😅

Anyway. Enjoy these updated photos of this pretty hen who has baffled us all for months! 😊

(P.s.- I'm wondering if there's welsummer in her lineage anywhere... 👀)

Attachments

• PXL_20231105_183838894.jpg
    PXL_20231105_183838894.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20231105_191909980.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231105_191909980.PORTRAIT.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20231105_191544054.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231105_191544054.PORTRAIT.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231105_191914852.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231105_191914852.PORTRAIT.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 12
The EE hen that I have that looks like her is the same way with her crowing. She will do it if she doesn't know that I am watching, but as soon as she sees me she will stop and run and hide. It is quite funny. She was right at 2 years old before I saw her do it.

I am glad you didn't get rid of her. Hopefully, she will give you a blue or green egg soon.

Thanks for the update

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Cleo has made it through her awkward phase and most definitely looks a hen these days. (We've changed her name like 80 times by now 😂 back to the OG name tho, now that we're confident she's a hen and have been able to spend more time with her.)

She's nearly 18 weeks old (I think?), so hopefully will start laying end of this month, into next?

I'll still update this thread when she lays an egg, but I'm confident she's a crowing pullet these days. :)

As far as the crow, I can't record it. By the time I get close enough to do so, she's done. It's not daily, and it's only once if she does, and it's like maybe once every two weeks. So it's very rare, but it's most definitely a full crow. My older barnevelder that crows does a weird little half crow, and Cleo's sounds nothing like it. And I have seen her crow with my own eyes. 😅

Anyway. Enjoy these updated photos of this pretty hen who has baffled us all for months! 😊

(P.s.- I'm wondering if there's welsummer in her lineage anywhere... 👀)
Thanks for the update. So happy for you.

The EE hen that I have that looks like her is the same way with her crowing. She will do it if she doesn't know that I am watching, but as soon as she sees me she will stop and run and hide. It is quite funny. She was right at 2 years old before I saw her do it.

I am glad you didn't get rid of her. Hopefully, she will give you a blue or green egg soon.

Thanks for the update
Yes! This is exactly how she is with it. I have to be out there at the right time to catch her doing it, and it's when I'm where she can't see me. Has to just be right place, right time.

I'm so thankful I didn't rehome her. We got it all set up and I "chickened" out that day. ♥️♥️♥️

Back
Top Bottom