Easter Egger Sexing Help - 8 week update

May 10, 2019
St. Augustine, FL
I posted my flock a few weeks ago, at 5 weeks (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/easter-egger-sexing-help-5-weeks.1310643/) wondering if at 8 weeks it is any clearer to the BYC community on what sex these easter egger chickens are becoming!

We are in process of building our flock of 6 a larger coop and run. They are honestly very good chickens and will come to me (even if I don't have food). Most are very tame and welcome being picked up or petted (exception being my probable Roo, Bacon, straight up beakhole).

As always, thank you all for your input! BYC is the best!

Piglet -- my sweetest and biggest easter egger, I still think that Piglet might be a hen based solely on personality and the comb never get significantly darker. But this coloring is similar to the one I think is probably a rooster (Bacon) pictured below.
piglet 8 weeks IMG_0841.jpg piglet 8 weeks IMG_0838.jpg

Toast -- the smallest chicken and last to feather. She recently got neck feathers and her chest came out red! Probably a hen?
toast 8 weeks IMG_0851.jpg toast 8 weeks IMG_0847.jpg toast 8 weeks IMG_0852.jpg

Bacon -- the chicken who is the best at dodging me / generally good at being a "beakhole" (my sister's word for unruly birds) -- I still think this is going to be a rooster. The brightest comb of all 4 easter eggers. No crows yet. Thankfully!
bacon 8 weeks IMG_0853.jpg bacon 8 weeks IMG_0854.jpg bacon 8 weeks IMG_0857.jpg

Hamhock -- the prettiest bird who is most likely to jump into my arms for their afternoon chicken treats. I read that easter eggers can be sexed on coloring, but I couldn't find the post. Probable hen?
hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0863.jpg hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0869.jpg hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0868.jpg

I'm thinking yes...bacon is a cockerel.
Can you get some standing side shots of the others? If you can get them to hold still long enough lol

I can definitely try tomorrow if there's no rain. Teach me -- what are you looking for from a side view?

Today was a huge success with ALL of them willing to be picked up and somewhat pose. I have them getting used to posing with a corn cob lure on a chair. Now to pose and PIVOT!

Actually, there are male and female specific feather patterns that can occur in EE. Can I see side standing shots of Piglet, Hamhock and Toast? They're likely pullets, but something about Piglet makes me think cockerel. I'd like to see the wings to confirm.

Agree though, Bacon is definitely a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom