Easter Egger with a Hunch?!

Modesty

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have a 3 week old Easter Egger and when we got her she was fine, but as of last week we noticed that she has developed what I can only describe as a hunch shoulder. I researched wry and crook neck, but her condition does not worsen. She just has this higher shoulder! She eats and does what she should for a chick although she s a bit smaller than her 3 week old leghorn/ Americauna brooder mate ( but that could just be the breed)
Can anyone tell me what this could be, or if there s anything I can do to "straighten" her out?

I might add that she tends to lean her head to the side that is lower making her appear like her neck is crooked

Last edited:
She may have a skeletal abnormality called roach back, especially if she stays like this, and there is no cure. It is a disqualification in poultry shows. Is she active, lively, and eating/drinking okay? With her head twisted to the side, it does remind me of wry neck. Does she have any symptoms of coccidiosis (lethargy, not eating, diarrhea) because hunching can be a symptom. I would put her on some good poultry vitamins and minerals, such as Poultry Cell or Avian Super Pack. Here is a thread with a couple of pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/612300/humpback-chicken

Thanks for the reply!
She eats and drinks and her poo is Normal. Her one shoulder bone seems to be more pronounced than the other "normal one" I have researched wry neck and to my understanding wry neck worsens over days of not treated....she has been like this for 2 weeks with no change. ( I could be wrong ) I will research roach neck and see if she falls into this conclusion. I appreciate the info! Always something new to learn! :D

Back
Top Bottom