Easter Eggers

I need the help of a few experts! I am going to get some straight run 7 week old OEs and EEs tomorrow at a nearby farm. How can I improve my chances of getting pullets? My first attempt at getting chicks left me with 3 roos that have to go back to the farm and 2 hens (which isn't quite a flock, imo). Any help will be much appreciated. It looks like these babies are dark--parents being dark brahmas, americaunas, cochins and marans! I have been studying, but would love some condensed advice :)
caf.gif

In the EE's that hatched for me on May 25th--- the ones that I am thinking are cockerels have larger tails. The females have smaller tails...and special attention to the development of the little pea combs...the more prominent, then the more likely to be a baby-boy.

Good luck. Hope you get girls. :O)

Hi! I LUV EASTER EGGERS!
love.gif
They r very calm and nice. They have great personalities and will let you hold them with little fuss. I've had people take care of my chickens for me while I'm away on a trip, and ask me if the chickens have a sickness or problem because when they come to collect the eggs they are weird colors like blue, green and brownish- pink. But there iz nothing wrong with the chickens I tell them. ''Cuz they're Easter-Eggers!''
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Hi! I LUV EASTER EGGERS!
love.gif
They r very calm and nice. They have great personalities and will let you hold them with little fuss. I've had people take care of my chickens for me while I'm away on a trip, and ask me if the chickens have a sickness or problem because when they come to collect the eggs they are weird colors like blue, green and brownish- pink. But there iz nothing wrong with the chickens I tell them. ''Cuz they're Easter-Eggers!''
yippiechickie.gif
Love your post.

I have 9 EE pullets that are 17 weeks old now. I got my first egg last Tuesday and my second one today. I know that this is early for laying so my questions would be: one, how old are yours usually when they laid and second, how long does it take for the laying to become reliable? Just wondering.

Different breeds, start at different times.....and the earliest that I have ever heard of a pullet laying eggs (of any breed) is 16 weeks, so yours are on the early side of that range of time.

It may take several weeks for you new layers to reach their normal routine, as they mature. Probably by 4-6 weeks the eggs will reach the size and frequency that your chickens will settle into for the routine of their first year. Remember that EEs are not a 'breed' per se, but rather a mixture of some breeds, and due to that very mixing, may have a vigorous production schedule. So, colorful eggs, pretty chickens, good production (sometimes mixed breeds have what is called hybrid vigor) - what's not to like? One breed I have starts pretty regularly at 24-weeks.

Remember too that there are a number of influences on the amount of production that a hen can achieve. Usually too, during the first 18-months the chickens is at maximum egg production. Congratulations on the chickens starting in on their egg-laying.

I have an EE roo that I am planning on breeding with my hens and hatching chicks from this spring. My hens are barred rocks, brown leghorns, white leghorns, red sexlinks, naked necks, and a black langshan. What color eggs do you think those chicks would produce?
Also, what color is this called? This is my roo:)

Very pretty--

Don't know the color name...maybe someone will jump in and post if they have that knowledge.

Eggs - come in two shell colors - white and "blue" - Chickens can put a coating on the shell which is called a bloom and sometimes it contains pigment - to make a white egg brown. (all shades) If the hen's shell is blue then the pigment would make the blue egg look green. Since EEs are a mix -- you don't know what egg-shell color genes your rooster is carrying, and you don't know if he has genetics that will also pass along some pigmented coating. From your brown layers you will probably get green IF you rooster carries the blue egg gene and passes it along.

Long-story-short(ened) -- you will probably get a rainbow of colors...if your rooster passes the blue-egg gene to his offspring.

Back
Top Bottom