Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm scared of ducks ever since they surrounded me at the duckpond when I was little. Scared my mom to death too. They had us standing on the park bench.Then they chased us to the car. First and last time momtookme to feed the ducks,lol!

That's funny! When my son was 3, he got chased by a goose at a farm-- then at Roan Mtn at the farmhouse, a chicken attacked and pecked him, then I took him to a cemetery to feed some ducks, (all within the same month) and they surrounded us and intimidated us back to the minivan (door locks--click!)--- He said in his little baby voice "I hate them fricken chickens!" It was so cute, and so true, that I didnt even correct him on the near swear. That's funny you still remember that happening to you and your mom!

The one rep said he was going to have to plan a trip back within 3 weeks because he has to take his dog in for treatment and be there anyway. He told me to keep an eye on the Knoxville Craigslist, that he would post it there under the farm and garden part.
Quote:
I wondered how it would go today for ya. We are still building our coop. But we plan on going to their farm. When we get a chance and get what we want. Wonder when they will be back up here..?

Last edited:
Quote:
I wondered how it would go today for ya. We are still building our coop. But we plan on going to their farm. When we get a chance and get what we want. Wonder when they will be back up here..?

Just be careful, my neighbor bought Rhode Island Reds hens from him once and when he brought them they were NOT RIR's, they looked more New hampshire.

Does anyone have a good link about laws regarding protecting your flock from predators in TN? I know there is a leash law, but it is unenforcable. I called our county animal control and asked how to keep my chickens safe from predators, and was told, "Don't get chickens." Well, too late.
smile.png

I haven't had any problems, bc we just have chicks inside, but we do have a problem with neighborhood dogs and also strays getting territorial around our bus stop (We built new on what was sold parcelled out farmland I think. Not the dogs' fault, I am pretty sure this is where they were allowed to run. My neighbor's dog has pooped in the middle of my driveway the 2 yrs I've been here).

My SO got my kids some guineas at the flea market last year (stupid stupid, but it was fathers day and he was feeling bad that he was around and they were asking about their bio dad. if I was there to say so, the answer would've been no) and we had them just in a chicken wire fence, and a predator sucked them dry.

Obviously, my first step is to built as tight of a coop and run as I can. But since fireworks are legal here, I am wondering if I see dogs in my yard, can I throw some black cats near (not at) them? Will that deter them, or just scare the crap outta the chickens? My kids want me to get a longbow to shoot anything, lol. What about small animal traps? Large animal traps? Can I put an electric wire around my yard? I know of one small child nearby, and her mom always watches her, and she would know of the fence, but still--

I know laws probably vary by county. I am not inside any city limits. I've tried internet searches, but I get lawfirm websites, and I dont know how updated these are.

I'm pretty sure we have a fox or coyote near here.

I am a firsttime homeowner, and a first time chicken owner, so I dont know which agency to contact for what I can and cannot do.

I am not above killing a racoon or possum, if that's what sucked those other birds dry, so how can I find laws about shooting animals if they are attacking our flock? We are in the county, but have neighbors and stuff.

Sorry if I sound ignorant. And sorry if that's upsetting talking about shooting some animals. I've never hunted or anything, but I guess its my responsibility to protect my kids' pets.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I am looking for TN laws, so I figured here, but I am new to the forums so please let me know if there is a better place to post, or if I need to change my mindset all together.

Thanks!

Law is you can kill any predator that harms your livestock. We hsd to check because what was after ours was a grey fox and they are protected species. But we were told to shot it if we could to protect our chickens. This was by TWA not animal control. Animal control has nothing to do with wildlife they refer everything to TWA.

TN State Law...county may not over ride. Excerpt from the carry law (look for exception of protecting livestock. In addition (although sad) you could actually legally shoot the dog on your property as well as any other predator as long as you claim that you were in fear of your safety (this is key)
CARRYING

It is unlawful for any person to carry "with intent to
go armed" a firearm, knife with a blade length exceeding
four inches, or a club. The burden is on the state to show
an "intent to go armed."
It is a defense to unlawfully carry if the possession
or carrying was:

1. of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on
or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was
not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;
2. by a person authorized by written directive and permit to
carry handguns;
3. at the person's place of residence, place of business or
premises;
4. incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing camping,
sport shooting or other lawful activity;
5. by a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged
in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory
animals;

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
Cybercat is dead on. If you contact animal control they only will act as if they know the answer (I have found most of them quite arrogant) The only thing they are good for is your dog problem. Shoot the other predators and tell them if they dont come out about the dogs being threatening on the bus stop that you will shoot them out of fear for your safety. That will get them out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom