Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Several options....
1st- you might want to make your way to the Tennessee valley fair before Sunday and talk to some folks there in the chicken area. There are many birds for sale and you can also probably find some breeders close to you.

2nd- There are some people on this forum who may be reducing their flock size and/or will be having some baby chicks soon

3rd- You may also want to wait until "Something to Crow About Show"
Sat. Nov. 13th
Fall Poultry show in Newport Tn
Cocke County A & I Fairgrounds
And come out to get more acquainted with folks here and back yard chickens in general.

Will this be the first time raising chickens? Do you have a coop and run set up yet? When are you ready to start? Do you want chickens for eggs, meat, or show? These are just a few questions that most people will ask in order to steer you in the right direction. If you are prepared to raise from day old chicks...then there are several hatcheries that can accommodate almost any need you have also. I would start by gathering as much info as possible from these forums first though and prepare yourself as much as you can.

Welcome to BYC, we are always happy to see another local in our little part of this site. Please ask as many questions as you have and someone here will give you good advice Im sure.
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Several options....
1st- you might want to make your way to the Tennessee valley fair before Sunday and talk to some folks there in the chicken area. There are many birds for sale and you can also probably find some breeders close to you.

2nd- There are some people on this forum who may be reducing their flock size and/or will be having some baby chicks soon

Sat. Nov. 13th
And come out to get more acquainted with folks here and back yard chickens in general.

Will this be the first time raising chickens? Do you have a coop and run set up yet? When are you ready to start? Do you want chickens for eggs, meat, or show? These are just a few questions that most people will ask in order to steer you in the right direction. If you are prepared to raise from day old chicks...then there are several hatcheries that can accommodate almost any need you have also. I would start by gathering as much info as possible from these forums first though and prepare yourself as much as you can.

Welcome to BYC, we are always happy to see another local in our little part of this site. Please ask as many questions as you have and someone here will give you good advice Im sure.
welcome-byc.gif

We are completely new to chickens. My husband grew up on a farm and has some experience. We have a good sized coop we fixed up that came with our house. Guessing it is about 8 x 10 and we added a big run to it. We are looking for more pets then anything. Couldn't do meat as I would get attached. Egg layers would be wonderful! But sweet and cute are the only requirements. We have been doing research on raising chickens from chicks and I honestly feel we would be able to do that if we get babies.

Hubby picked up a heat lamp for our newest additions of rescued ducklings. So that could be used for little ones. I'm not sold on the whole hatchery thing but open. I would prefer someone who knows thei chickens more as pets then money.

We can't make it to the tn valley fair but might be able to make it to the newport one.

Quote:
Several options....

Sat. Nov. 13th

welcome-byc.gif

We are completely new to chickens. My husband grew up on a farm and has some experience. We have a good sized coop we fixed up that came with our house. Guessing it is about 8 x 10 and we added a big run to it. We are looking for more pets then anything. Couldn't do meat as I would get attached. Egg layers would be wonderful! But sweet and cute are the only requirements. We have been doing research on raising chickens from chicks and I honestly feel we would be able to do that if we get babies.

Hubby picked up a heat lamp for our newest additions of rescued ducklings. So that could be used for little ones. I'm not sold on the whole hatchery thing but open. I would prefer someone who knows thei chickens more as pets then money.

We can't make it to the tn valley fair but might be able to make it to the newport one.

SOunds like your ready to jump in
smile.png
I dont have any hatchlings coming up, but someone here may chime in if they do. Tell us what breeds you might be interested in though and we will probably beat your door down to get you guys going
smile.png
If you can make it to Cocke county in November I'm sure you will def. go home with chickens
smile.png
Have you looked at Cochins for full sized or D'uccles for bantams? I happen to know two gals from "broodyland" that just may love to meet you, LOL

Last edited:
We have looked at several breeds. We have found the boys like feathered feet, cute and little. I know that isn't an answer. A few breeds we looked at are turkens (the boys like the funny looking babies), bantam cochins they look very round, jersey giants and welsummers (love the egg color)

But we are very open

Last edited:
Quote:
SO how are yours coming along, ladyride. Still at about 40 or have they doubled yet
smile.png
what are you going to use this winter for bedding? I think im just going to increase my pine chips to about 7 inches (just about two more bags) I wish I had time to solid roof some of the run before...but alas the honey do list is too long already.

No haven't increased yet getting ready to send a bunch to camp kenmore soon also just ordered some broilers to get through the winter. I am using equine pellets for bedding. got about 5" at present. Those honey doo lists get long before winter & spring. Dh finishing tractor now for broilers . Ain't no way I would have them in with my pretty layers .lol.

Quote:
Well... Full sized cochins might suit you also. Good egg layers, feathered feet, very friendly, very cute, and very broody (if you want to try hatching some baby chicks au-natural)

Nellabean.... you want to weigh in on this?

Im not sure right now if anyone in our group has Jersey's or Welsummers. But I think you are making great choices for your first time.

I def. understand your apprehension for hatcheries, but there are some good stories as well. I did not start from a hatchery, but many on here did and have received great birds. Tennesseeckn I think can offer some input on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom