Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@library

I just switched over to sand from deep litter. Here are the benefits and pains so far

Benifits..
  1. Im going to save a huge amount of money over shavings.
  2. Easy to scoop like kitty litter and therefore no smell
  3. I never have to worry about grit
  4. its one big place for the girls to take a dust bath
  5. Easy to mix in a little sevin dust.
  6. no shavings in the water or food trough any more

PAINS..
  1. If you dont spend 5 minutes every day scooping it, it can easily get away from you
  2. It has gotten a little dusty in there (not constant dust but ive notice more settled dust on things)
  3. I know for a fact it will be colder in the winter
  4. it was a real pain when I first switched, had to shovel in a ton of sand
  5. I miss the smell of the pine shavings (the sand does not smell bad, but I liked the pine)

Last edited:
Totally cool pic Bairo!!
I think that is Chigger's photo. But it is a cool pic
wink.png

Oh, no! I feel bad. I don't want to take over!
hide.gif
I was just thinking that we were thinking that my area would be more convenient for everyone. If Knoxville's closer, I am all for that. It is kind of a pain having to travel North on I-75... Just let me know. I'll pitch in towards the cost no matter what.
Well, you are welcome to look into the prices per pavilion, we did originally want one out there. Norris is such a pretty lake, I wouldn't mind you taking over if that is where people would prefer to go, that is such a clean lake and pretty area, I only figured Knoxville would be easier. Maybe Norris won't be so hard to book a spot...

Oh, the Norris one has 2 pavilions!!! One is a first come-first serve basis, free!!!!!!!!!!! The second holds up to 100 people and you can book up to a year in advance, don't see a price though.

Amen thanks for the thorough explanation!! I am only using pine shavings right now & no poop deck! I wish I had thought of that when we were building the coop! I guess you can find sweetpdz @ the co-op?

Bairo thanks for explaining the difference bw the two. Are you using s really gritty sand (not the playground stuff)? I only have pine shavings in there now, not all the other stuff that amen mentioned.

I blocked both of the nest boxes & the young one is just chilling on the floor - maybe
After a few days she'll use the roost :)

@ barnqueen.

Usually the females have a darker stripe or V shape on top of the head and darker clearer eye liner.

Here the two in the middle ae males and the two outside ones ae females. The female at the left is harder to tell with the darkness of the stripes...but the eyeliner is darker and more defined.

Last edited:
library..Im using the real rough stuff with actual tiny pebbles in it. Different places call it different names.
river sand, rough concrete sand, construction sand, etc. Watch out though...the place I went to sells two different concrete sands. One is rougher than the other. So if you see concrete or construction sand and it seems fine enough it might pack down easy, then avoid it. I head once someone in a different part of the country talk about a "washed" river sand. Rough but no dust at all. Now that would probably be very ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom