Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
caponization (sp.?) is the procedure that if this were a male dog would be called neutering. Roosters have their testes inside, just to the side of the spine so it's a little harder to do than for a dog/cat.

Last edited:
Can someone tell the less educated chicken person what "canonization" is that you all are talking about?
Canonization ? NO.... I'm not going to have my roosters declared saints, LOL (sorry, I could not resist that one)

Caponization is castrating a rooster
wink.png

Stacy... Wow, your alive? LOL PM me and let me know about progress on other thing.
@nella...What she said
big_smile.png

Sprinkler??? more like a fire hydrent wide open
roll.png

So sorry about Gizmo
hit.gif
, I thought you wanted to see Harley. I forgot Gizmo would probably not feel the same. Next time I'll bring the one smaller than Gizmo ;)

Terry... those chicks are def. Marans or a marans mix. Doing well though.
Oh my goodness don't worry about Giz....she is a tough little girl and believe me....she is a little mean butt. So she needs a good scare every now and then.

I really enjoyed seeing him! He is such a sweetheart but I think he is always going to be a puppy at heart. I have a friend who has a female she needs to find a home for. I think she said she is five. She keeps tearing screens out and chewing on the plastic of their storm door and she is just tired of it. I ask if she gets plenty of exercise and she said she plays with the other dog but like many people that is just fun stuff. She needs exercise and I think that will help her behavior. If you know of anyone interested let me know. She is spayed and up to date on shots. These are really nice owners but they are in their late 60's and just overwhelmed I think.
Glad the chicks are doing well. I hate to hear they are not Welles.

Has anyone else had the issue of silkie chicks hatching out with beards too fluffy to the point it keeps sticking to the poor things eyes? My buff did so i trimmed its beard way down to make sure it didnt get an eye infection or cause permenant damage but its doing fine now. Im just wondering if I will have to keep it cut as it grows out into a adult bird.
I have had some come out "cheeky" like that. I just keep an eye on them and with the fact they grow so quickly it does not stay like that too long. It sounds like it is going to be nicely bearded. It should grow into the beard. I have had some really fluffy silkies this year. But I have got to find some SQ hens to give mine a rest.They look haggard so they are enjoying some R&R. I hatched out around 25 silkies last year and ended up with 4 hens....only able to use 3 for breeding to keep their standards. All the rest where roos.
roll.png

I'm also having trouble with my dogs. My golden will eat anything but a mint tic tac--surprisingly his is not the problem- I tell him to stop at the barn door and that's that. But the corgi is a terror around the chickens, she made it into the coop again Sunday. By the time I capture her the coop was a mess, and as I carried her out one of my black orpingtons, who escaped into the main barn, came though the coop door as I headed out with Zoe~, she fussed and cussed the whole way back in. She looked like a lady holding up her skirts and giving Zoe` a piece of her mind. Any Ideas on how to get Zoe` less interested in the chickens? I'm adding a inside lock to the barn door so she can't get inside again. and she can't get into the pasture, and the donkey will try to kill her if she does. But--I would like her to be less reactive, it's like living with a bomb.
I have to agree with Stang. I have trained dogs and there are some who's drive is so strong they will not listen very well. Corgi's, if I am not mistaken, where bred as hunting dogs because with their body shape they can get into dens. So...it may be her natural reaction to do what they breed is indicative of and her natural reaction is strong than most. The collars are not harmful if you use it correctly. And...you could always consider an underground fence so she can not go into your chicken area...unless she is like my Weirmeriner I had who learned he could get just close enough to the fence that it did not bite...BUT...it would run the battery in his collar. Good Luck!

Had my first chicken escape yesterday... Took me about 15 min to catch her! I'm just Glad my dog wasn't outside!

TNBarnQueen, A corgi is the smallest of the herding dogs and also the only dwarf dog. They were developed to herd geese, sheep, bulls,ect..which explains all the attitude. the collar sounds like my best bet, it may also help with her desire to bite Zeus ( our Golden retriever).
I found a great FREE resouce today. our next door's were having a tree trimmed/topped and had about a 1/8 of a huge dump truck of mulch, they drove it over to my house and dumped as close to the barn as they could get. Seems all the tree places are ALWAYS looking for places to put the mulched up bits. So if anyone else would like some for their run call a tree service and talk to them--be sure to tell them what trees you cannot have, cherry, peach, black locust, oak and in my case black walnut ( all apply to my donkey as well). Also, if you don't have as much space to have a dump truck come onto your land--you can spread a tarp and have them dump there--just be sure that's where you want it or you have a wheel barrow or pull behind trailer to move it.

TNBarnQueen, A corgi is the smallest of the herding dogs and also the only dwarf dog. They were developed to herd geese, sheep, bulls,ect..which explains all the attitude. the collar sounds like my best bet, it may also help with her desire to bite Zeus ( our Golden retriever).
I found a great FREE resouce today. our next door's were having a tree trimmed/topped and had about a 1/8 of a huge dump truck of mulch, they drove it over to my house and dumped as close to the barn as they could get. Seems all the tree places are ALWAYS looking for places to put the mulched up bits. So if anyone else would like some for their run call a tree service and talk to them--be sure to tell them what trees you cannot have, cherry, peach, black locust, oak and in my case black walnut ( all apply to my donkey as well). Also, if you don't have as much space to have a dump truck come onto your land--you can spread a tarp and have them dump there--just be sure that's where you want it or you have a wheel barrow or pull behind trailer to move it.

They do the free mulch here... just be careful of where you use it. If the tree they had chopped down had a disease or pests... you got them now. ;) My mother uses the free stuff from her town but only in certain parts of the yard. The neighbor she has dumps it everywhere and lost her Grannysmith and Japanese Maple to some burrowing bug. Just saying... biosecurity isn't only for chickens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom