Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever seen a dog run converted into a chicken pen.

It sorta makes a chicken tractor.

Works depending on how many chickens you put in there.

Me I take a 7x14 dog run and stretch it to 23 feet.
Add more uprights, 2 cross braces in the top and 1 cross brace on the bottom.
Then cover 13 feet of the top with deer netting and then cover the rest with a tarpaulin,
(at least for now, metal later when funds become available).
Feed pans hang from a center support under the tarpaulin.

For summer I just installed 2x4's for roost but since winter is coming I am
starting to change them over and add a mini coop on one end.

Laying nest are the cheap blue totes from Big Lots with an 8 inch hole cut into the side and tied to the side of the pen.

Good part is you can move them like a tractor but have to warn you the can get HEAVY.
We have a kennel that is about 10x 8 that we use for our guineas. I put a tarp on it, and dog crate in it and hung wood through the holes for about 7 roost at different heights. There are 10 guineas there now. I even put chicken wire on top and covered it with a tarp. Tommy says he'll build me a small coop (about the size of two brooder boxes) and put on stilts for them, but he hasn't done it yet.

I have a kinda sickly chicken. She has clear nasal discharge & infrequent sneezing. She is acting fine other than this: eating, drinking normal, etc. My question is should I mist her directly with Oxine mixture or just run a humidifier in the coop tonight? And if I run it in the coop how long should I leave it on for? Thanks.
You can run about half a gallon through the humidifier at night when they are on the roost. Just depends on what humidifier you have as to how long it takes. 30 minutes to 2 hours? If your windows on the coop are still open, I would go ahead and close them for the season. It is going to start getting pretty cool at night and the draft will really get to them.

Edit.... I mean a half gallon of pre-mix. (ratio on my coop page).

Last edited:
bout time for me to change avatar....stang needs a good confusing
smile.png

I wanted to let everyone know......

Watch your protein levels. It is ok and even can help quite a bit this time of the year with molting and such, but you dont want to blow their kidneys up either. I do use BOSS and even mix in a little "all flock" to raise the protein a bit and sometimes the fat content if I have a runt or two.....but you can over do it. So be easy on it.

IMHO

DISCLAIMER;
I am not providing medical advice. If you have a question you should seek advice from a doctor of veterinary medicine. All opinions and views expressed on this page are my own. There may be many others who share my opinions, or have similar opinions, however, everything I write on this page is my own opinion gathered through what has worked for me. I may quote other sources, I may state fact. But the fact remains that if I do these things they are to simply support (yep, you guessed it) my opinions. In a nut shell (lest there is still any doubt), all readers of this page may assume that each and every sentence I write is prefaced with the acronym “IMHO” (or “In My Honest Opinion” for those who disdain acronyms)
big_smile.png

Have a question. I ordered a group of chicks from Murray McMurray back in the spring so they are beginning to lay now
I got 4 blue Andalusian and they haven spurs. Is that normal for them ? Never seen hens with spurs before.:idunno

You can run about half a gallon through the humidifier at night when they are on the roost. Just depends on what humidifier you have as to how long it takes. 30 minutes to 2 hours? If your windows on the coop are still open, I would go ahead and close them for the season. It is going to start getting pretty cool at night and the draft will really get to them.

Edit.... I mean a half gallon of pre-mix. (ratio on my coop page).

Thanks. I think the humidifier is at my in-laws & can't remember what kind. DH is over there working so I will have him bring it. I do not want to get too worried about her. They were just recently wormed & I hate to throw antibiotics at her/them if I don't know what I am up against. It is getting time to close the windows & I will do that tonight. I gave them a container of my plain Greek yogurt for a treat tonight.

BTW the avatar is nice.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Just thought you would like to join the rest of us.
Lets see who all is hatching.

Bario just ordered Eggs
I have 29 in the inky
Stang is looking for some eggs, she was looking for about 90
ep.gif

tnchickenut is almost convinced
dncarr has 42 coming
and I think there were 1 or two more.

So see, I just did not want you to feel left out.
hide.gif

Have you ever seen a dog run converted into a chicken pen.

It sorta makes a chicken tractor.

Works depending on how many chickens you put in there.

Me I take a 7x14 dog run and stretch it to 23 feet.
Add more uprights, 2 cross braces in the top and 1 cross brace on the bottom.
Then cover 13 feet of the top with deer netting and then cover the rest with a tarpaulin,
(at least for now, metal later when funds become available).
Feed pans hang from a center support under the tarpaulin.

For summer I just installed 2x4's for roost but since winter is coming I am
starting to change them over and add a mini coop on one end.

Laying nest are the cheap blue totes from Big Lots with an 8 inch hole cut into the side and tied to the side of the pen.

Good part is you can move them like a tractor but have to warn you the can get HEAVY.

I have used them and still use two... one 10x10 is for 5 tiny bantams... and another is 10x10 for 3 roosters (it was 4 until two weeks ago). And no, the roosters don't fight.

tn chicken nut so sorry to hear about your accident & you are right karma is a b----- but west knoxville people fail to look beyond the skin to see the person that is fabulous. What happened go to work for 4 days and everyone goes post crazy took me 45 min to catch up .
My poor chickens look like I need to make them some jackets with the feather loss they undergoing right now. Been giving them all the feed they can eat plenty of boss, rare ocassion throwing a handful of cat food. Some look naked some look like porcupines. Others look good for now but 1 egg in 3 days from 14 layers. Got some others at pol but no eggs yet. Think they may be skeered seeing all the nakeds running around.
gig.gif

By the way welcome all the new folks glad to have additions to our little area !!!
welcome-byc.gif

Enablers I thought that was everyone's middle name just glad I don't have an incubator. But I am too lazy prefer to let the broodys do it. Lord knows they were very busy this year everytime I turned around someone was broody.

You hit the nail on the head there.... and thank you.

I got a broody right now who won't give up. In a flock of 21 hens and one rooster... chances are she is wasting her time sitting. I think she should have hatched some by now. I don't like breaking them, so I might need a new chick. UGH!!! Can't decide: Put a fertile egg under her, Set fertile eggs and throw chicks under her, or buy chicks and trick her. Votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom