Eastern Washington

Hey neighbors..... I've got a Sagitta Rooster that needs about 15 hens to take care of... I've got 7 hens and that's not enough for him... I was thinking of increasing the number of hens to 12.... Even spoke with Bro at Just Fowling Around... That's where I got my chickens... I've decided next spring will be a better time to increase the flock... He's really gentle with the hens... feeds and protects them until it's time to mount them... He doesn't pull out feathers.... He monitors the hens knowing who hasn't been serviced that day.... One great stud.... The problem I'm having is the hens are so busy trying to hide from his needs that they aren't laying... He really does need at least 15 hens so they can relax "part time"..... I don't want to eat him.... He's a beautiful specimen and will serve your flock well.... He was born this early spring... I'm thinking $10 to help cover what I've got invested.... Sagitta's are large fowl... he weighs about 7#'s now....
I don't needvthe rooster, but I love a good one. Just wanted to say I love Just Fowling Around also. They are comig to spokane tomorrow.
1f60d.png

I don't needvthe rooster, but I love a good one. Just wanted to say I love Just Fowling Around also. They are comig to spokane tomorrow.
1f60d.png

They are great folks.... They are suggesting I separate the roo in a quarantine cage, inside the run, just to give the hens a break.... What a good idea... I may try that... If I do, I will take pics of how that comes together.... Take pics of your new birds, or eggs, or what ever they may be delivering to you...

Last edited:
They're here! My English Orpington chicks arrived this morning! They are all doing fantastic and are just the cutest, sweetest lil fuzzy nuggets! Jubilee, Lavender, Chocolate, and Black.

There are 13 in all. One looks like she's starting to go wry neck so I'm supplementing her with iron-free baby PolyViSol, selenium, and vit E mixed into Chick Boost. Not sure it's helping though :'(

Good Morning Folks..... Happy 11 degrees to all......

Hey, segregating my rooster for about 3 weeks did the trick.... He's quite the gentleman now.... Hens have him in line, big time..... He's not the boss anymore... But a loyal servant to the ladies... Still very protective but in a chauvinistic way....
lau.gif

So...I have a 'dude that looks like a lady' or possibly a 'lady that looks like dude'. It's got a rooster like comb but he/she doesn't have the saddle or tail feathers (looks like a lady from the back) like my other Black Australorp. It's bigger than the hens but not as big as the roo and it's not laying. I separated the rooster and the maybe roo for a week...no eggs. The roo isn't interested in getting busy with it either.
ep.gif
Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom