Eating and drinking, but skinny and cannot stand

rebecca100

Songster
14 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Arkansas
My friends just bought some cochins, about six hens and 1 rooster. They were all kinda skinny, but the rooster was really bad. He couldn't walk, just lay. They thought he was just weak from being skinny. i don't think so. He can't even stand, but he still has an appetite and drinks. I think one of the 2 male ducks the people had in the pen had tried to breed him and got him down in his back, since nothing "seems" to be wrong with his legs or hips. Anyway, they started him on elecrolytes and are keeping him in the house. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how to treat him please let me know and I'll pass it on. I had advised them not to buy them because I had gotten disease birds from the same person the year before and now I'm wary of his stuff. I guess I should have gotten more info on the roo, because I really don't know how his poop is, etc. Anyway, I'll ask.

the most commonly occuring cause for this (especially with a view on your comment about their previous care by former owner) would be worms.

The absolute first thing that they need to do is to keep all of the new birds separate from any in the established flock, especially since you got sick birds from this joker.

Age?
Poop?
Coughing,sneezing,wheezing?
Check the bottoms of his feet for any black spots.

The ducks MAY have hurt him, wouldn't surprise me...poor guy.

i tried to tell them that, but they don't listen to me. The first thing they did was throw the new hens in with the old. I guess once they lose theirs, like I did mine. Then they will believe me! They are getting dewormer for them all today.

Back
Top Bottom