Eating bedding!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by captainmommy3, Mar 2, 2012.

1. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    one of my baby chicks 2 weeks old is picking up and scratching around in her bedding i think i saw her eat just a teeny weeny peice but it this normal that she is so interested in her bedding and if its edible?

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    I like to use pine pellets for bedding. It cost a little more, but it holds down the smell and the pellets are to big to eat. It is also very absorbant and gives them something to scratch around in.

3. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    do you use the pine pellets exactly the same as the shavings? changing them the same and everything?

4. Kustom

Kustom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    my chicken LOVES to eat paper, especially those weekly colorful newsprint ads that come in the mail from the grocery stores. He also eats notebook paper, paper towels, wrapping paper, napkins, toilet paper and cardboard. Tears it into strips and eats them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  5. rotten97

rotten97 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    York Pa
    I use news paper and mulch from my chipper , and my chicks love scratching around and shredding the paper and finding the ocasional beetle in the mulch . I"m sure they have eaten mulch and paper and there all doing fine .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by