eating fertil eggs

equinealot

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
My first batch of chicks ever. I got 20 pullets & 1 Male. A neighbor told me you cant eat or sell fertilized eggs. Is that correct?

We eat ours and they are delicious!

the only thing is if you are not careful about when they were laid you could end up with developing chicks in your omlett. Be sure to collect your eggs every day, label them, and eat them up quickly.

In a year of having a rooster around we have only had one fertile egg that started to develop.

Thank you so much. I really didn't want to get rid of my little guy. Was hoping for a Broody hen or 2 & have the fun of watching mama take care of them. I love this web site Sooo!! much great learning.

There are so many bad rumors about eggs.
Most likely spread by the big egg companies to get you to buy inferior products when compared to what you can get locally or have ready in your own back yard. It's the same tactic used to make everyone buy bottled water that was most likely bottled from your municipal water sourse.

Like they say just keep them at room temperature.
If they sit at incubation temps (over 94 degrees and under 102) for more than a day its likely the development cycle will begin.
Still, the egg wont show much change until a couple days have passed.

Most importantly you can eat the egg and all contents at any part of the development cycle, so long as you dont mind the look of it.
The only "bad" thing about any egg is if it si rotton, or if you dont want to eat a baby.
Some people really do want that baby bird, in the Philippines its quite popular.
(not for everyone, but it proves a point)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)
You see Balut stands EVERYWHERE you go in that country.

There's so little difference between a fertile and infertile egg that it's hard to see. Here's a great thread that shows the difference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

As long as your fertile eggs aren't at 95+ degrees for a few days, they wont' begin to develop. I would expect that all our eggs are fertile (we have three roosters) and we eat and sell ours. There are no rules that say you can't sell fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom