Eating more

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Might sound like a stupid question. Do chickens eat more come fall/winter? All of a sudden they are acting like they are starving when I put their food out. I put it out each morning and it stays out all day until I bring it in at night. But lately I’ve been seeing them eating to were there crops are visibly full. Any insight would be appreciated. 👍

Yeah, we have a mixed age flock. The adults that are over a year, and the fresh layers.

We've started having to take out the food after the morning feeding as they will kill it & then by dinner time they're starving. (Refusing to forage & instead just eat & laying around in the run or inside the coop & filling it with poop. *facepalm*)

But the other night, when we put the food back out, even though they were acting like they were starving, some had crops soo full but were still eating as much as they could. Others didn't have as much.

I do not want to starve them but I also can't afford gluttonous birds either. lol
They're not really starving anyway as they can forage; they have 2 runs; 1 is really large, and they have been given pumpkins to eat. (Have 3 large ones still to give them.)
What do you feed your birds? Careful with giving them too much treats, let alone treats full of fiber and water

Packing on the winter fat... 😉
Ours are on the back side of their fall molt which they slow down on eating I'm sure because they're hurting from feather loss and being cold. Some now are veracious eaters now like they are catching up after getting over their molt.

Yeah, we have a mixed age flock. The adults that are over a year, and the fresh layers.

We've started having to take out the food after the morning feeding as they will kill it & then by dinner time they're starving. (Refusing to forage & instead just eat & laying around in the run or inside the coop & filling it with poop. *facepalm*)

But the other night, when we put the food back out, even though they were acting like they were starving, some had crops soo full but were still eating as much as they could. Others didn't have as much.

I do not want to starve them but I also can't afford gluttonous birds either. lol
They're not really starving anyway as they can forage; they have 2 runs; 1 is really large, and they have been given pumpkins to eat. (Have 3 large ones still to give them.)

I free feed all day long also. During molt and when temps start dropping cold overnight I give them a little scratch grains before bed for a little added boost.

1697507192756.png

What do you feed your birds? Careful with giving them too much treats, let alone treats full of fiber and water
Tucker Milling's Nature's Crest Chick Starter (18%). But will be going to their brand layer feed soon which I think is a 15 or 16%.

Other than that they have a couple large pumpkins to feed on that stay till they finish it.
Any other treats all just depend on whether I have some garden waste, or dinner waste from us. (I have a flock of 62 birds, none are getting enough treats here to mess w their diet. lol)

Tucker Milling's Nature's Crest Chick Starter (18%). But will be going to their brand layer feed soon which I think is a 15 or 16%.

Other than that they have a couple large pumpkins to feed on that stay till they finish it.
Any other treats all just depend on whether I have some garden waste, or dinner waste from us. (I have a flock of 62 birds, none are getting enough treats here to mess w their diet. lol)
Your birds will likely eat more with a lower protein feed, no waste feeders help if you haven't tried them.

Back
Top Bottom