Eating while sitting

devans87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Dallas
One of my hens is sitting on her eggs now.
big_smile.png
But my question is, will she get off of them long enough to eat and drink? I dont keep feed in the coop just scatter it 2 times a day. I havent seen her eat since Friday evening. Should a put some food and water close to her nest so she can get some food and water? any info is appreciated. thanks and have a great day!

I bet you get a million different answers but I personally do put a small handful of scratch next to my broody girls and also pick them a few handfuls of fresh grass, clover and such. They will go get water and go poop during the day but don't always go eat so I put it in there. Sometimes it's a couple days it seems til one will go poop but they do go..and it is S T I N K Y!!!! I've got Buff Orpingtons and they do get off the eggs and go get water or check out a "snack" I've brought the others if there's enough commotion going on about it but otherwise they don't abandon ship.

Yes, put some food and water right next to her. She will probably leave the nest for a short period each day to eat, drink and poop but watch her carefully to be sure. It's best if you can put them in a kennel or somewhere where others won't bother her and she will feel safer leaving her nest and she can eat and drink.

I lost a young Buff who went broody and got so nervous as others came and went from coop that she wouldn't leave her nest and stayed there for a month and wouldn't eat or drink and eventually died from becoming too weak. She was leaving the nest towards the end for short periods but I didn't realize till it was too late that she wasn't eating or drinking - just walking over to a bush and getting under it for a rest.

Back
Top Bottom