eating your pet open discussion

Yep, I agree with Drewnkat regarding local laws. Up where I live in Paradise, you can have FOUR dogs...but only two chickens. Out by our local restaurant, there is a house on a 6000 square foot lot surrounded by a chain link fence. When you exit your car in the parking lot, you are greeted by four barking, insane German Shepherds jumping and snarling at the fence. On my .4 acre property, fully fenced, only TWO chickens, and they cannot free range. Go figure.

As do I. However, I believe that this site should be about chickens, raising them, enjoying them, not to espouse political viewpoints. There are plenty of other websites supporting that purpose. No one here should be discussing upcoming elections, their least favorite politicians, perhaps stupid laws regarding the ownership of fowl would be an exception. That, I would agree to.

I agree to a point - in the chicken specific areas of this forum, the conversation should be chicken related -- there are, though, areas of the forum designated for discussions of things other than chickens. Rather than blanket dictations regarding what should/shouldn't be discussed, I prefer that discussions be had in the appropriate, designated areas so that those who wish to discuss life outside of chickens are able to engage as they wish and those who do not can avoid all but the chicken talk. (provided those other discussions are all within the TOS of the site, of course)

Agreed. Still working my way through BYC, Haven't accessed all discussion areas. If I wanted to fight, I would wake up the wife early.

Agreed. Still working my way through BYC, Haven't accessed all discussion areas. If I wanted to fight, I would wake up the wife early.
gig.gif

I love vegetables, I also love meat. I'm a avid hunter since I was a kid and put lots of wild game in the freezer for the family. I will admit though I do have a hard time when it comes to putting the chickens in the freezer. But I have a family to feed and can't afford to feed chickens that are not laying eggs. So I suck it up and get the job done, the family likes chicken. Its good to know where our food came from what they ate and that they were raised happy.

This thread reminds me of an old Reader's Digest story published in the Devonian Era, when I was a wee lad. A little girl, we'll call her Suzie, raised a steer for 4H club. His name was Henry. Henry took the Blue Ribbon at the county fair. But as we all know, Henry the steer would eventually meet his fate, as all steers do. A few weeks later, Suzie was celebrating her birthday party, and her folks invited all the neighborhood children over for a barbeque. The fare was hot dogs and hamburgers. A couple of the more inquisitive children asked, as Suzie's father grilled the repast, "Is this....Henry?" When Suzie's father said "Yes, the hamburgers are...Henry", the children opted for the hotdogs....until little Eric walked up, thrust his plate forward, and said "I'll take a hamburger. I never liked Henry, anyway..."
big_smile.png

I haven't eaten an animal since January 1 of this year. I haven't died. So it isn't a matter of whose life is more important... it's just what I'm choosing. My husband eats meat, that's ok. All of you eat meat, that's ok. Me,I love my chicks. I can't watch them grow, watch them interact, watch them discover stuff then eat them. and in turn, I don't understand how anyone could. That's all. So no animal has to die for me to live, because I eat beans and nuts and vegetables. I didn't think of vaccines and fossil fuels because the thread topic is about eating your pets. Jeesh and good lord people seem to like to attack the people that choose to NOT eat meat and avoid fast food, why is that?
I am learning,I am new to this and I am just doing what I feel is right in my own typically black heart :)
I think this thread is based on a faulty premise... That chickens are pets. Chickens are livestock and the fact that some people chose consider them pets does not mean they are not still livestock.

So questioning how any one could raise and enjoy their livestock and then use it as food is a bit backwards.

I think folks on this thread where defending themselves, not attacking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom