eatting fertilized eggs

chickenrunnin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Roy, Washington
Okay so I was approached by a friend who had been eatting the eggs I was sharing and was asked if it was okay to eat the eggs if they were fertilized. I said I have been doing if for quite awhile and noticed to difference. Its not like my eggs sit under the chicken and start to grow, we remove them daily and refridgerate.

So then it got me thinking about the what ifs...but I could think of none. What are your experiences eatting fertilized vs non fertilized eggs?

Kelly
tongue.png

I could not tell the difference. It's a belief thing. They must be vegetarian or something like that. I would eat futile eggs but not baloot.

There are a lot of misconceptions about eggs that come from "married" backyard hens, ones that live with a rooster or two. There's a fear that they'll crack open an egg and find a half-formed chick, or worse. But really, unless you're pulling eggs from under a broody hen, you shouldn't notice any difference in appearance or taste.

With some folks it's not worth telling "the eggs are fertilized, but okay to eat anyway" because it's just Too Much Information, more than they care to know. I just tell them I keep hens & roosters together, & let them do the math. I'll explain in detail to anyone who asks, of course. Some folks actually prefer fertilized eggs for eating, they think they're better somehow. And there are other people who are extremely sensitive to taking a life for eating, even the few cells of baby chick on the yolk of a fertilized egg.

By the way, the occasional blood or meat spot on an egg yolk is NOT a baby chick, it's just a particle from the hen's egg-making apparatus. These occur on infertile eggs too.

the only growing they do is when they hit the hot frying pan lol im just kidding, maybe they have more protein in em lol

Back
Top Bottom