1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eatting fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenrunnin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. chickenrunnin

chickenrunnin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Roy, Washington
    Okay so I was approached by a friend who had been eatting the eggs I was sharing and was asked if it was okay to eat the eggs if they were fertilized. I said I have been doing if for quite awhile and noticed to difference. Its not like my eggs sit under the chicken and start to grow, we remove them daily and refridgerate.

So then it got me thinking about the what ifs...but I could think of none. What are your experiences eatting fertilized vs non fertilized eggs?

Kelly [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    There is no difference at all. 99% of people couldnt tell the difference if they tried. [​IMG]

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    [​IMG] i always thought they would taste better but i have egg allergy so i dont get to eat that many a spoon full every so offten.

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I could not tell the difference. It's a belief thing. They must be vegetarian or something like that. I would eat futile eggs but not baloot.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    There are a lot of misconceptions about eggs that come from "married" backyard hens, ones that live with a rooster or two. There's a fear that they'll crack open an egg and find a half-formed chick, or worse. But really, unless you're pulling eggs from under a broody hen, you shouldn't notice any difference in appearance or taste.

With some folks it's not worth telling "the eggs are fertilized, but okay to eat anyway" because it's just Too Much Information, more than they care to know. I just tell them I keep hens & roosters together, & let them do the math. I'll explain in detail to anyone who asks, of course. Some folks actually prefer fertilized eggs for eating, they think they're better somehow. And there are other people who are extremely sensitive to taking a life for eating, even the few cells of baby chick on the yolk of a fertilized egg.

By the way, the occasional blood or meat spot on an egg yolk is NOT a baby chick, it's just a particle from the hen's egg-making apparatus. These occur on infertile eggs too.

6. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    the only growing they do is when they hit the hot frying pan lol im just kidding, maybe they have more protein in em lol

7. chickenrunnin

Dec 22, 2008
    Roy, Washington
    Thanks for all of the responses. I dont notice a difference either. However I notice my eggs taste much better than store bought.

8. chickenrunnin

Dec 22, 2008
    Roy, Washington
    Quote:This is possibly the best phrase ever [​IMG] happy eggs come from happy chickens [​IMG]

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Here in the Uk you cannot sell fertile eggs to the public .......

10. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    IF YOU EAT FERTILE EGGS YOU WILL START TO LAY EGGS! WARNING! IT HAPPENED TO MY EX GIRLFRIEND!!!

LOL... IM JOKING....

REALLY......I AM..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by