Ebay Purchased Hatching Eggs Experiences Ups & Downs!!!

I've bought 6 on ebay before. I like extras sent but some people send only 6. I like the 6 egg sales though as I can get a few different breeds to hatch and put them all in the bator at once. My problem is not with a zero hatch. Those things happen. My problem is when I bought purebred eggs and ended up with mutts. The sales person had a 100% rating and showed photos of purebreds so I thought I was safe buying from there:(

I did Ok with E-bay. My hatch rate was about 30%, which sounds really low but considering that was my first time ever hatching anything and I had a couple of harder breeds of ducks and chickens, I was thrilled.

I'd buy again from there if they had something I liked and didn't want to deal with shipping ducklings and buying more than I really wanted. I got 11 ducklings and chickens for around 90 bucks including shipping, that's about $8 something a piece plus the satisfaction of the hatch itself.

Of course, buying locally is the way to go to avoid shipping costs.

Ive purchased from a couple of different sellers on ebay and have been very happy with them. Just had a zero hatch from one seller, Im sure it wasnt her fault, yet she offered me another dozen for only shipping costs. I really appreciated that.

Quote:
Six eggs is not enough to get a decent start of any breed from. A 50% hatch, which I consider good from shipped eggs, will at best yield a trio, but more probably a pair. I sell eggs on Ebay and Eggbid, but never less than a dozen quanity. When I was young a setting of eggs was considered to be 15. The one thing I do that might be unusual is the amount of extras I send. The way I pack, 20 eggs fit perferctly in a flat rate box, so if you buy a dozen from me you get 20, whether you want them or not. If you don't want to hatch the extras, eat them, they are plenty fresh. I have pretty decent birds, and always try to describe them properly. My biggest complaint is the sellers who have "mutts" and palm their eggs off as "purebred". It's detrimental to all selers who do breed to the Standard. I also buy on Ebay and Eggbid, and it is strictly a "pay your money and take your chances" crapshoot. I sometime have a complete pot pouri of birds running around with no idea what breed they might be. Some sellers who sell on these auctions really have no idea what a bred to the Standard bird looks like, and are describing them as honestly as they know how. If I were going to ask a single question of an Ebay or Eggbid seller, it would be, "Do you have a current copy of the American Standard of Perfection"?

Good post, here. No, I'll take that back - its not good...

It's excellent.

I got Silkie eggs from this seller: thomdean46, and I have nine little chicks. This is after the eggs were shipped in the heat, and incubated in my cheap LG still air 'bator by a total novice. The chicks are active and healthy.

I got zero hatch on Blue/Black Orps, and one of eight Buff Orps, also shipped in the heat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom