Economics Current Info - If you're not interested just pass it by!

Quote:
I am sorry I vehemently disagree.. The value of non commercial radio is priceless.... Please do not forget WE THE PEOPLE own the airwaves!! I donate to public broadcasting..
It is my strong opinion that if more people listened and watched public broadcasting we would have a more intelligent population, that does not loose its attention when they hear anything longer than a sound bite followed by 10 min of commercials for garbage some one is trying to sell....
somad.gif

I watch no commerical TV or listen to no commercial radio, because of the advertising and overall lack of content..
duc.gif

Edited, based on Ridgerunners wiseness..
wink.png

Ridgerunner,
Compelling points! Indeed human nature... Though we have broken monopolies in the interest of the people before. I see nothing wrong with hitting the reset, start the game over button once in a while...
smile.png

ON

Last edited:
This has been a nice thread. Please be careful.

I watch commercial news to get some of what is going locally, especially the weather forecast, but most of my actual news comes from the newspaper. I read the comics to see what people's opinions are, the opinion page mostly for laughs, and the international and business sections to see what is going on in the world. I avoid cable news. I find those even more biased, one way or another, than the commercial networks. That's saying a bit.

The commercials don't bother me that much. I use them to tell what demographics are watching. It seems that impotent men and older women with certain medical problems watch national news where more people needing furniture of cars watch the local news. The difference in national brands and local brands plays into that too.

On income disparity I agree with Ridgerunner that there has always been a wide gap however in most of those cultures there was a middle class. In ancient times they were the tradesman, merchants and sometimes farmers. I'm concerned about the shrinking middle class in the U.S.(and worldwide to en extent) that is happening today. For that dilemma I have no good solutions. I also believe that being a billionaire is fine unless you use the cash for harmful reasons or goals. Soros is an example of this. He's a financial tyrant. Bill Gates, while some would disagree, uses his cash and resources to grow businesses and philanthropy. On the other hand if someone chooses to be lazy I think they should get out of life what they put into it, nothing, especially not free health care.

On NPR I could rant for hours. Yes, NPR is left leaning, mostly because it is produced by academia. I laugh when every journalist or announcer has to pronounce their last names with the ethnic accent yet speak perfect English on everything else. If I was on NPR you'd think I was an opera singer.
smile.png
All joking aside NPR is the most balanced of any network, cable, tv, or radio. They take the time to discuss complex issues, not 30 seconds and some loud angry person. There are no or few commercials to interrupt the thoughts. There is a lot of emotion but very little anger. Generally I love it. They spend a lot of time on topics that are so educational and interesting. So I accept the slight liberal leaning and embrace it. I think they did a fantastic job with the last elections too.

I do listen to Rush and the others on occasion. Sometimes I agree with Rush, sometimes I think he's an arrogant jerk, and most of the time I'm entertained.

We have a guy here in CT on 1080 named Jim Vicevich who is Libertarian conservative. His callers have a wide range of views and many liberals call in because he talks to and respects all the callers.

Quote:
If you want to list Soros you have to list Rubert Murdoch. He is the biggest media mogul in the world and everything he owns is far right leaning and mostly disinformation. Yes NPR is a little left. I have heard a lot of right wing opinions on there though. Mostly they just give time to both sides of an issue. I don't quite understand where some people call main stream media left though. There is a billboard displayed all over Denver that has one of the local 6 and 10 PM news teams on one side. On the other is a big "They Want to Spend YOUR Money" with a picture of Obama. Pellosi and Reid. I saw it and expected a big FOX emblem on it. I was surprised it was ABC. So much for the liberal media fallacy.

We have one progressive station on AM here. The other 6 talk stations except NPR are hard right. Too bad NPR is not listened to more. Nobodys learning anything on AM these days and prime time is just sensationalism and commercials. Of course you can hear some guy guess at what the weather might be.

Quote:
From what I know of Murdoch and his networks, including Fox, he is right leaning but also part of the DC elite that includes many from both so called parties. Soros's history is very different. The two of them shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

As for why the main stream is left well all you need to do is watch it occasionally. They have double standards when it comes how they treat democrats from republicans. CNN and MSNBC are the most guilty of this. Look up the campaign contributions of those network's staffs. ABC and CBS have more conservative audiences and have to play to those. Most newscasters and journalists are outwardly liberal. Just ask them.

I've offered wondered if Fox didn't have Oreilly, Hannity, and Beck if it would be as vilified as it is now. The regular morning shows and news is pretty much the same as the others.

You mentioned sensationalism and commercials. That vast majority of news organizations, from the local guys all the way to Fox, are there to sell commercial space, not educate the public or provide them with accurate information. If they can squeeze in a little of their liberal or conservative agendas while they are at it than it's a freebie for them.

They reality is they are a lot more alike than they are different. They are "flavoring" their content to appeal to their perceived audiences. Behind closed doors the two major parties are really one anyways. Having the so called news agencies out there to offer garbage news distracts the general public and dumbs them down.

Quote:
From what I know of Murdoch and his networks, including Fox, he is right leaning but also part of the DC elite that includes many from both so called parties. Soros's history is very different. The two of them shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

As for why the main stream is left well all you need to do is watch it occasionally. They have double standards when it comes how they treat democrats from republicans. CNN and MSNBC are the most guilty of this. Look up the campaign contributions of those network's staffs. ABC and CBS have more conservative audiences and have to play to those. Most newscasters and journalists are outwardly liberal. Just ask them.

I've offered wondered if Fox didn't have Oreilly, Hannity, and Beck if it would be as vilified as it is now. The regular morning shows and news is pretty much the same as the others.

You mentioned sensationalism and commercials. That vast majority of news organizations, from the local guys all the way to Fox, are there to sell commercial space, not educate the public or provide them with accurate information. If they can squeeze in a little of their liberal or conservative agendas while they are at it than it's a freebie for them.

They reality is they are a lot more alike than they are different. They are "flavoring" their content to appeal to their perceived audiences. Behind closed doors the two major parties are really one anyways. Having the so called news agencies out there to offer garbage news distracts the general public and dumbs them down.

I don't consider MSNBC and CNN to be main stream. They are Cable networks as is FOX. FOX gets vilified because they put out a lot of flat out lies and say it is news. MSNBC has people that actually let you know it is their opinion. If Fox would let people know they are listening to opinion instead of news it would be better. The major networks aren't left leaning. They used to be, but you don't see it anymore. You could say Katie Couric was, in her interview with Palin, but Palin pretty much walked in to all the traps on her own. Couric was just guiding her. Her handlers have learned a lot since those days. I doubt she'll have any real interviews again, just Fox softball interviews that she can use for fund raising.

I don't know that much about George Soros. I heard he is a Jew and was in a camp as a boy. haven't researched him so I don't know for sure. I know the Spin Master hates him as does Rush. Of course he provides financing against their mothers milk, so that is expected. George Soros does try to help out the weaker voices in the media. So it is understandable that they hate him. Sorry not much respect for the Washington Elite here. The world would be better off without them in DC. I agree about the dumbing down. It comes from both sides but the right has about 5 times as many stations broadcasting the dumbing.

It would be nice if all they had was newspapers again. People might actually know a little bit about what is really going on.

Last edited:
Gang,
Just a quick thought on the media conversation.. Right Left or whatever......It is my opinion for the most part it is simply business.. They put whatever spin on the so called "news" that makes them the most money.!

Their are very little "ethics" it is simply that slightly Right makes the most money. (ie, best ratings so advertisers pay premium rates.)

Food for thought...
wink.png

ON

Quote:
That's a good point. Thank You I wonder why that is though. It's a fact that pubs and dems are about equal in population. Registration figures are around 23-25% for each group. Why don't the dems listen to AM radio? If they did then there would be more A/M stations that give the other side of the issues.

I know that media is strictly ratings driven. That's why an accident gets 10 minutes and some new bill getting passed gets a 5 second sound bite. I wonder if all countries have such an uninformed population because of a useless media.

Pure speculation but I think the rights complaining and whining is more entertaining than the lefts. I am not sure why that is but they seem to be more organised, the message easier to simplify. (Generally they are preaching NO) Maybe that and the general Religious affiliation of conservative folks is a factor because their are lots of radio Religious stations and programs.
This would not apply to TV so much though..
hmm.png

Other countries... Well the UK has BBC...
love.gif

Finland where I have spent much time seems to have media that is more frank and upfront. Different than here.. But I can not say how really...

Interesting questions!

ON

Back
Top Bottom