Economy Cooking from your pantry

Ray- Thank you for sharing that website! I'm fixin to scour thru it...
I don't know about anyone else, but I feel hungry! And what neat recipes. I have more to submit, I'm sure more of you do too, I'm trying to beat a rain in my garden, will be back when it cut loose.

Thank you
The ParsonsWife

Last edited by a moderator:
One of our favorite meals is quiche and salad. When I make quiche, I make it "crustless." Here is a basic recipe:

1 1/2 cups half/half (you can substitute with other milk products)
4 eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste
your choice and quantity of cheese
your choice of veggies and meat

mix all together and pour into 9" pie plate, bake at 350 for about 30-40 min.

Ham and cheese is a popular quiche, some like to add spinach. I like to put mushrooms, ham or canadian bacon, red pepper, sometimes tomato. The combinations are endless. Choose the cheese that you think will go best with your combination. I like spicy foods so I often use a creole spice in it.

If you use milk rather than half/half, I would try adding some cottage cheese or potatoes to it to help thinken it. The frozen potatoes (like country-style hashbrowns) work nice in this type of dish.

I expect to be making this quite a lot when my chicks start laying eggs.

My version of goulash...
brown some ground beef (or bacon) add cooked maccoroni and a jar of tomatoes with a little sugar to taste. This is very quick and easy!
clap.gif

this post lead me to try a new dish; 1/2 lb. hamburger, onion, a can of halapino peppers with chopped tomatoes, a can of beans, some left over rice, and a 1/2 a can of left over tomato sauce, garlic and herbs

If you can find mozzerella at a good price, this meatless dish is one my family likes now and then. We just call it, chip casserole, but there are better names you can find for it.

Large bag corn tortilla chips, not too thick of ones, I like Que Pasa brand.

Large can of diced tomatoes, with it's liquid.

Small can of plain tomato sauce, optional.

A good amount of finely minced onions, and if you have some, green bell peppers.

Mozzerella, grated.

Salt.

In a baking dish put a layer of chips and flatten slightly with palm.

Spoon 1/2 of the tomatoes and their liquid evenly over the top. If you use the sauce, add 1/2 now. You want the chips to soak up liquid.

This is where you put a little sprinkle of salt over the whole, especially if your chips aren't very salty.

Layer on an even layer of onions (And peppers, if using.) completely over the top.

Put on a layer of cheese.

Repeat in the same order, ending with the cheese on top.

Bake at 350 until browning on top.

Cut into squares and serve.

This is better the next day, after it's set in the ice box overnight. Sometimes I make this just for the next day. Once it's cooled from the oven, refrigerate overnight. Cut out squares the next day, and take out of pan to heat. It has a different consistency the next day, even. Try it both ways.
smile.png

I've "dressed it up before", using meatsauce, using Mexi-tomatoes etc., and while it's not bad those ways, this is one of the dishes I think just tastes better when you do less to it.
smile.png

If you have salad ingredients, that's nice on the side. We've dug out a can of black olives, and had those on the side with it, too.
smile.png

I make this and it is ready in under an hour.

1 lb of hamburger
1 cup of shredded cheese whatever u prefer
sprinkle cheese as much or little as u like
salsa i prefer mild but u can use what you want and i usually add about 2 tablespoons or a little more
bread crumbs usually around a half a cup just eyeball it
mix that all together and bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes or so. Than put either real mashed potatoes or I use instant to make it a shorter and easy prep.
Have a salad or veggie on the side with some ice tea

I call it Chili Rice.

Can of chili

Rice

Cook rice, add hot chili, add toppings like chives, sour cream, cheese, chips.

UMMMMMMMMMM........UMMMMMMMMMMMM..........GOOD and easy.

This is a wonderful thread! I havent had a chance to read all the way thru it, tho I did see that Angel Food cake recipe, and cant wait to try it. Can you believe I have over 50 chickens and Im having to buy eggs??? Grow up, girls!

Anyway, I always keep a package of Butterball Kielbasa in the freezer. Sometimes I take it, slice it in small pieces, stir fry, and add whatever veggies I happen to have. A can of beans, frozen veggies, a couple of tomatoes and peppers from outside. I fix it over rice or noodles, depending on what I have in the pantry, and sprinkle with parmesan.

Voila! Dinner.

Thanks for recommending the hillbilly housewife site. There are so many useful recipes and ideas on there. Its been really helpful. thank you so much....

I see alot of solid food recipes (amazes me how much we cook alike and live so far apart) So I thought I would share 2 of my favorite sweet recipes.

This first one saved my life living with 3 teenage girls and a little boy. Remember I am a 5 or 6 ingredant cook.

Microwave fudge:

1 bag powdered sugar (genaric works better)
1 cup cocoa
1 stick oleo (parkay works best)
1/2 cup milk

Mix powdered sugar and cocoa in a microwave safe bowl. Cut oleo in chunks and place over mixture pour in Milk DO NOT STIR. Cover bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Pull out and mix, put back in and microwave on high 3 more minutes remove and mix with a mixer till well blended pour into a buttered 9 x 13 in pan. yummy

Lemon crisp cookies (tastes like lemon merange pie)

1 (18.25oz) pkg of pillsbury moist supreme lemon cake mix (must be a moist cake mix)
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 or 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
yellow colored sugar (optional)

Oven at 375

In large bowl, combine cake mix, oil and eggs. Stir with a spoon until thoughly moistened. Shape dough into 1 in balls. Place 2 inches apart on a ungreased cookie sheet. Place sugar into a shallow dish. Dip a flat bottomed glass into the sugar then flatten the cookie ball with the glass into 1/4 inch thickness.

Bake @ 375 for 5 to 7 minutes or until edges are light and golden brown. Cool 1 minute and remove from cookie sheet.

In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies and sprinkle with colored sugar before icing can set

makes about 4 dozen cookies.

WARNING don't make these if you are trying to diet.

Hope ya all enjoy my goodie recipes.

Back
Top Bottom