EE, Ameraucana, Auracana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen'nbiddies

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Central Ore. -Cowgirl Country
EE, Ameraucana, Auracana What is the difference between these three? Yes I am new here and learning a lot! Thanks for your patience.
smile.png

Last edited:
ee or easter egger is a mixed breed that usually lays different then normal colored eggs.
ameraucana have pea combs, beards, lay blue or green eggs and they must fit into certain color catagories to be shown
araucana- tufted rumpless bird that must fit into certain colors ot be shown

Hen'nbiddies :

Thanks, that was a really clear explanation. I ordered 4 Ameraucana pullet chicks so I can expect blue eggs!

It's my understanding, unless you ordered them from a breeder, vs. a hatchery, they will be Easter Eggers. We got 8 EEs from Privettes hatchery, in NM. They lay a variaty of colors from a pale blue to olive green. None of the neighbors we sell to had ever seen these before and want us to save them some for Easter.
tongue.png

Hen'nbiddies :

Thanks, that was a really clear explanation. I ordered 4 Ameraucana pullet chicks so I can expect blue eggs!

yeah, unless they come from a reputable breeder they will more then likely lay green eggs, might get blue or brown though it all depends on what goes into the crossing to make the EE. but on the bright side no 2 EEs look the same.​

look in the standard book, better then websites or even ask pips. she said in the topic about the blue ameraucanas that her white ones that she got from Jerry DeSmidt( very reputable breeder) lay a minty green egg i believe also the ones i got from him lay green eggs so i took the time to look it up in the standard of perfection and both araucanas and ameraucanas can lay blue or green eggs

Last edited:
just because they lay green it does not mean it is correct. I do know when the new color varieties come about they lay green because of the mix that was used to acheive the new color. Breeders work real hard to get the green out. If you go to the Ameraucana Breeders Club the standard calls for blue eggs, green is not mentioned
I agree, if the OP's *ameraucana* are coming from a hatchery, then they are EE's. Hatcheries sell their EE's as Americana, Araucana, Ameraucana etc. They(hatcheries) just perpetuate the misinformation....
eta- ameraucana and araucana can and do lay green, but it is definitely not what any breeder I have talked to like to see and they work hard to fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom