EE beard gone

Hi all, no emergency or anything but I am wondering if anyone else with bearded chickens has had their beards completely gone? My one grayish EE's beard is gone and all you see is his long pink neck. He is healthy and I only once saw him pull at one of his own neck feathers. I have not noticed any bugs or anything although he does seem extra itchy when grooming lately. I also have noticed white crusty particles on his comb for a while. Anyone have this kind of thing with their EE's? Is this not a big deal with bearded chickens? Here is a pic. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210827_131535.jpg
    20210827_131535.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210829_145830.jpg
    20210829_145830.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 8
He may have been feather picked. Can you look his body over for tiny fast moving lice under his vent and around his neck? I cannot see the comb well enough, but another clear picture might be helpful. Favus, a fungus can sometimes get on combs, faces, and wattles. It looks like chaulky white and can be treated with miconazole cream.

He may have been feather picked. Can you look his body over for tiny fast moving lice under his vent and around his neck? I cannot see the comb well enough, but another clear picture might be helpful. Favus, a fungus can sometimes get on combs, faces, and wattles. It looks like chaulky white and can be treated with miconazole cream.
I do not see anything moving on her. Are these photos better?

Attachments

• 20210830_100256.jpg
    20210830_100256.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210830_100250.jpg
    20210830_100250.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210830_100245.jpg
    20210830_100245.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 6
The white material in his comb could be fungus (favus.) I would clean the nooks and crannies and apply miconazole or (Monistat 7) cream, or get some clotrimazole cream. I have had bearded roosters and they will sit around and let the hens pick their feathers out. You can try some ointment or cream to try and discourage it. People use vaseline, Bag Balm, anti-peck cream, or bad tasting ointments. Hopefully they will leave it alone.

The white material in his comb could be fungus (favus.) I would clean the nooks and crannies and apply miconazole or (Monistat 7) cream, or get some clotrimazole cream. I have had bearded roosters and they will sit around and let the hens pick their feathers out. You can try some ointment or cream to try and discourage it. People use vaseline, Bag Balm, anti-peck cream, or bad tasting ointments. Hopefully they will leave it alone.
Could the fungus be related to the roundworm problem we had? I just started treating the girls for it using goat dewormer. I have not noticed the white fungus on any of the others. I will order that cream you mentioned now. That particular chicken 🐔 is getting tired of me cutting her butt feathers due to hardened poop but she will have to deal with a little more handling LOL. Thank you!

Would the cream in the attached picture work? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-171649_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-171649_Chrome.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom