EE cross question

thistlecreek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Central Iowa
I picked up these lovely ladies from a guy who said they are Ameraucana crosses. He said the hens that produced these gals were in with both a BO roo and a Australorp roo. Can you tell by looking at them which rooster these came from? I don't know anything about color genetics and I know EE's can come in MANY colors. What egg colors should I expect? I'm assuming brown and green. Thanks!

If they are first generating Ameraucana/brown egg layer, they will most likely lay an olive or green colored egg. NOne of these girls look much like their potential fathers so it could be either.

First, I don't think that those are hens. For sure, the two in the back aren't.

The one in front may be a hen. If so, she'll likely lay green eggs. But, since she's probably a cross of an Easter Egger (which is already a cross) and a brown egg laying bird (Australorp or Orpington), she may very well lay brown eggs.

Last edited:
Easter Eggers can lay any color of egg, from deep blue to a pale pink. Some even lay brown. However, I don't think you'll be getting many eggs from your "hens." At least the ones in back are cockerels, and the one in front may be, too.

If indeed, a BO rooster or an Australorp rooster are the only possible choices as fathers, then the two in the back with the black feathering came from the Australorp rooster and the white one in the front came from the BO rooster. If the mothers were true Ameraucanas (highly unlikely), then the offspring will have green eggs. If the mothers were Easter Eggers (very likely), then there is no way to predict for certain what color the eggs will be, but they will likely be either green or brown. depending on whether the mother passes on her blue egg gene or their brown egg gene.

If indeed, a BO rooster or an Australorp rooster are the only possible choices as fathers, then the two in the back with the black feathering came from the Australorp rooster and the white one in the front came from the BO rooster. If the mothers were true Ameraucanas (highly unlikely), then the offspring will have green eggs. If the mothers were Easter Eggers (very likely), then there is no way to predict for certain what color the eggs will be, but they will likely be either green or brown. depending on whether the mother passes on her blue egg gene or their brown egg gene.

P.S. All this is assuming that all three of your birds are hens, but I agree with Wyandottes7 and BantamLover21 that the two in back with black feathers in them are likely cockerels.

First, I don't think that those are hens. For sure, the two in the back aren't.

The one in front may be a hen. If so, she'll likely lay green eggs. But, since she's probably a cross of an Easter Egger (which is already a cross) and a brown egg laying bird (Australorp or Orpington), she may very well lay brown eggs.

This - especially the first sentence, sorry.

What makes you say they are cockerels? They are 20 weeks old and were in with other birds that were definitely roosters. I have 4 standard EE hens currently and 2 Ameraucana bantam hens and I'm not sure these look much different. Please enlighten me!

What makes you say they are cockerels? They are 20 weeks old and were in with other birds that were definitely roosters. I have 4 standard EE hens currently and 2 Ameraucana bantam hens and I'm not sure these look much different. Please enlighten me!
Pretty blatant male hackle feathers (I suspect standing photos of the birds would reveal matching saddle feathers) and, especially with the top most bird, the comb.

Back
Top Bottom