• EE

• Americana

• Mix!??

Results are only viewable after voting.

rosemarysugar

Songster
Mar 1, 2018
Meeker, Colorado
This is my 11 month old chicken who is SUPPOSEDLY a brown-red Americana. ( I think that she layed a brown egg today that is why I'm asking LOL) MAKE SURE TO VOTE!
15411144888433511175616339979312-jpg.1578234
15411139802645276883615381937226-jpg.1578202

Last edited:
Pretty sure she’s an Easter egger. Amerucaunas have poofy beards or feathers coming out the sides of their faces. They also lay green or blue eggs.

Also, I’m pretty sure amerucaunas have rose combs
Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs and have pea combs. This hen is an Easter egger since she isn't a standard color pattern and lays brown eggs.

I agree, EE.
Ameraucanas are a standard breed with specific colors and other requirements and are often mislabeled. That's where all the confusion comes from. I don't know why hatcheries, farmers and farm stores can't just call Easter Eggers, Easter Eggers. It's just so confusing and sometimes even disappointing for chicken keepers :confused:
The main rule of thumb I use to determine if it's a true ameraucana or not, is if it labeled as a specific color variety, then it's an ameraucana. In your case though it was labeled as Brown Red. Look at reliable (ameraucana alliance or ABC website) pics of real brown reds and you'll notice they look a bit different. :) Also, unless you are being scammed, ameraucanas will be a lot more expensive. More like $10 or more per chick.

Back
Top Bottom