EE question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by citalk2much, Nov 8, 2009.

1. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Okay my friend wanted to make a few EE's. So she breed her Araucana roo to her leghorn/minorca hens. Well two chicks hatched and they have bright yellow/orange legs. Shouldn't they have green legs?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, they can have any color legs. Easter egger is just a term for a bird (hopefully) carrying the blue egg gene.

It depends on the birds genetics as to what color legs they will have.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Not all EE's have green legs.

If you're hoping for green/blue eggs, look for the chicks with pea combs. It is almost always inherited with the blue egg gene.

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Thank you both for the answers and great information

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Quote:I did breed my wheaten ameraucana roo to white leghorn hens and got "paint" chicks. One that I kept has black patches of feathers on a white heavier body, a single floppy comb, dark slate legs, and started laying a pretty blue egg at around 22 weeks old.

6. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Thanks for sharing Chic!

I did the same breeding and ended up with one baby that is white with black spots. I hope it lays blue eggs but its only 2 months old. It is exciting to know that someone else tried this breeding and it worked.

My Araucana roo also crossed with some of my brown layers so I hope for olive eggs as well. I am working on a breeding project where all of my hens lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by