Eep... Power company!

Quote:
Thank you.
love.gif
Money troubles do bite, especially when doubled with bad luck.
roll.png

I might get to keep em just because they're birdtypes.
big_smile.png
At least on my dad's side, my mom might just be won over by their fluffy cuteness.
wink.png

Quote:
Your not the only one our bill was paid in full last month, came home yesterday to a notice. Our bill was 511.00 dollars for one month. (we dont even heat with electricity) I think its a scam. I also have eggies in my bator it sucks.

$511? Can it be right? Could they have made a mistake? Could you check your meter reading?

That sounds way, way, high if you do not heat with electric, and this is certainly not air conditioner weather.

Catherine

Quote:
Oh goddess, thats a lot. Our's is for like.. 1700$, but it's for 2 houses and a store/apartments.
hmm.png
Though it seems like we should be able to pay it with those in the family, they're just things that refuse to sell. But that's a different topic.
roll.png

Iggi's Mom, it could be the true one just because of how the companies are. MidAmerican (the one we have to use) has been raising our bill almost every month even if we try to lower use.
hmm.png

Their feathers should be in at 2 1/2 to 3 months in which time the weather should be decent by then.

You have plenty of time to think of a design for your coop, so don't worry. I have even seen some large dog houses converted into some nice coops. Just as long as it is safe from predators and gets them out of the elements. If you know anybody that is renovating you can snag some free building materials, and really cut down on costs. I got some nice used 2x4s that way one time from a business next to where I worked. They threw them in the dumpster, so I borrowed a truck and took them off their hands. They are now the roost bars in my coop. My ex-husband would come home with windows and all kinds of stuff from construction projects he worked on. They were just going to throw that stuff away!

I'm glad you get to at least hatch your little ones! I hope your family lets you keep them after all your trouble of hatching them. I think once they see them, it will be a no brainer. Babies are hard to resist and not fall in love with.

Yes they said it was actual reading. We turned off everything. The only thing I can think of was the 150 watt brooder bulb in coop, It got extremely cold so we left it on during day . sorry to the chickens since weather got bad again, now they get it for 2 hrs in morning to warm things up a bit. Weather is supposed to get better this coming week. I dont know how Amish do it, but we will be learning I hate giving that kind of money away.

Quote:
So true! My sister might even change her mind on silkies once she sees them.
love.gif
I'm trying to convince her that the silkies would be good for her little one.
wink.png

Thank you about the feather info.
smile.png
I don't know of anyone who might be constructing, but since spring IS coming, someone might soon.
big_smile.png

Yeah, she thinks they're weird and would get poop everywhere. She thinks it's weirder still when I told her some people put diapers on the house ones.
lol.png

Super side questions! When I go into lockdown, would this work on keeping the humidity up? The house is SUPER dry, so humidity is extremely hard to raise. I have 3 jars in to help steady temperature, what if I just find a way to open up one of the smaller jars with water in it, and keep it in, in addition to filling up all the water trays? Do you think that would be too much, or even not enough? I heard about sponges going in the bottom to help keep humidity up. But the humidity drops to 20% when I open the bator, so I'm not sure if that would be enough.
wink.png

Anddd... What if water touches the eggs? When I put water in the trays, I can only see half (the table is uneven) and when I get done, the water is barelyyy over the wires on the other end, and I always forget and put an egg there while turning. @__@ Is it super bad? Not much touches it because they're on a pad, then the wires, but there's still a small wet spot when I pick it up to turn the next time. =x

Quote:
On your BYC page it looks like you have a Little Giant or something close. What I do to get humidity up at lockdown is put a sponge on the wire underneath the red plug without the fan if you have a forced air. I use a little funnel that I tape a straw to, insert the straw with the funnel attached down the hole to rewet the sponge. That way you don't have to open the bater and lose more humidity.

Back
Top Bottom