EEs- Are they a breed?

Are EEs a breed? (In your Opinion)

• No

• Yes

• Depends on how you look at it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Breed
noun
a stock of animals or plants within a species having a distinctive appearance and typically having been developed by deliberate selection.
synonyms: variety, stock, strain

By all forms of the word, Easter Eggers can be classified as a breed.
Distinct appearance: Yes. Typically bearded, green legged, lays colored eggs. Results may vary, but there is some consistency.
Developed by deliberate selection: Most definitely.

You're perfectly fine! :hugs There's not one of us who hasn't made little mistakes here and there. :)

~Alex
Agreed. :)

I know I read as harsh, however I try to post more for the future reading of other members and guests, than for the user I am replying to.

I went through a loooonnnnggg spell on here of being wrong about everything I posted and being called on it. Happens to all of us. Learning curve.

I did vote that I consider EEs to be a breed. To me, if you can post a picture of it in the breed forum and be told it's an EE without waiting to see what it lays, then that's enough standardization to be considered a breed. Does it breed true? Is it in the SOP? No! Absolutely not. But then again, neither do Icelandics or Swedish Flower Hens, and they are referred to as breeds as well. (Yes, yes, they're land races if you want to get all picky. I think you can't call EEs a land race because they were developed by human selection... but it's the same principle to me: a group of chickens so distinctively marked in their variations that they have a name and can be recognised easily.)

Some people call any blue laying chicken an EE. That's a whole other use of the word. I definitely get the OP's point, though. All of the above in my post is an opinion, that's it—one developed from owning both Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas and frequenting the BYC Breed & Gender section.

Back
Top Bottom