Egg Bound Bantam

Kisura

Chirping
May 27, 2020
NW Wyoming
My tiniest of chickens was just egg bound.

The blue egg to the left is her normal egg (37grams). The one that bound her today is the blue egg to the right; a whopping 62 grams. For reference, she is a very small bantam Americuana. The full size sexlink chickens laid a 69 gram egg today. The full size Cochin laid a 48 gram egg today.

I’m feeling it for mama’s everywhere!

And I’m grateful to Backyardchickens.com for providing me the background and knowledge of what to look forI’ve read a lot just in case) as well as the immediate refresher when we were needing to deal with it.

I just wanted to say thank you.

And ask- how closely do I need to monitor the chicken now that this stage of the emergency is over? I’m also wondering if this is related to overindulgence in spring worms and if I need to contain her more to limit the worm-eating enthusiasm (assuming too much protein).

TIA
6FAEC798-6844-4C03-92CE-A497EA2872A5.jpeg

My tiniest of chickens was just egg bound.

The blue egg to the left is her normal egg (37grams). The one that bound her today is the blue egg to the right; a whopping 62 grams. For reference, she is a very small bantam Americuana. The full size sexlink chickens laid a 69 gram egg today. The full size Cochin laid a 48 gram egg today.

I’m feeling it for mama’s everywhere!

And I’m grateful to Backyardchickens.com for providing me the background and knowledge of what to look forI’ve read a lot just in case) as well as the immediate refresher when we were needing to deal with it.

I just wanted to say thank you.

And ask- how closely do I need to monitor the chicken now that this stage of the emergency is over? I’m also wondering if this is related to overindulgence in spring worms and if I need to contain her more to limit the worm-eating enthusiasm (assuming too much protein).

TIAView attachment 2684955
Some birds just lay huge eggs. I don't think it's linked to diet, more likely genetics.

Back
Top Bottom