Egg bound? Cornish hen not improving.

Queensilkie

Songster
5 Years
Jan 22, 2016
WA
I have a Cornish game hen, who fell ill a few weeks ago. I identified the cause most likely as worms, and treated her. She improved within a couple days, and seemed to be back to normal. However, fast forward a few days, and she started the classic 'walking like a penguin', and symptoms usually associated with eggbinding. I brought her inside, and have been soaking, massaging, etc. The duck stance got more severe over a couple of days, and now she's passing normal stool, but no egg, and is still displaying the same symptoms. The area under her legs/vent is slightly swollen, and feels warmer to the touch, I know some people say it may be infection? She is not acting sick, has bright eyes, is still eating and drinking normally, but still seems to be extremely uncomfortable, and is not improving. As of today I have started her on anti-biotics.
If anyone has any suggestions as to a cure, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Cornish game hen, who fell ill a few weeks ago. I identified the cause most likely as worms, and treated her. She improved within a couple days, and seemed to be back to normal. However, fast forward a few days, and she started the classic 'walking like a penguin', and symptoms usually associated with eggbinding. I brought her inside, and have been soaking, massaging, etc. The duck stance got more severe over a couple of days, and now she's passing normal stool, but no egg, and is still displaying the same symptoms. The area under her legs/vent is slightly swollen, and feels warmer to the touch, I know some people say it may be infection? She is not acting sick, has bright eyes, is still eating and drinking normally, but still seems to be extremely uncomfortable, and is not improving. As of today I have started her on anti-biotics.
If anyone has any suggestions as to a cure, it would be greatly appreciated.
What did you worm her with?

You started her on antibiotics today - what are you giving her and the dosage?

A penguin stance for days accompanied by swelling in the abdomen, then likely she has a reproductive disorder. Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Salpingitis, cancer and tumors, sadly, are common in laying hens. Depending on the cause, antibiotics may help with infection and inflammation for a short period of time. If there is fluid in the belly, that can be drained to give some short term relief as well.

Here's some reading for you
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/

Yes, sounds possibly like a reproductive problem, and antibiotics could potentially help if it's salpingitis or early stages of egg yolk peritonitis. When did you start the antibiotics and is she responding? What type and dose are you giving and do you know how much she weighs?

Back
Top Bottom