Egg bound!! FINAL UPDATE 10:30 3/3am ******* PICS!!! pg 3 ***********

hawtchick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
New Hampshire
I went out to take care of my girls and roo yesterday and noticed that one of my red sex link hens had poop stck to her bum. I have never seen this on them before and am terrified of dealing with this, but will do what I have to to help her.
She seemed fine yesterday otherwise.
We did just get over a foot of snow, so I am going to have to make my way out to her in a bit to get a kennel for her to come in our house with us.
She has been eating layer pellets and black oil sunflower seeds and cracked corn. Snacks as well. Fresh water as well.
I had just gave the pen a big cleaning too 2 days before this happened when it was nice and they were outside while I did it.
Any thoughts??

Thank you..
Jess

3:00pm 3/2

Her crop is very full and yet I haven't seen her eat today, and she had segregated herself from the flock in the coop this morning.

Could it be a crop issue and not an eggbound thing... or both???? aarrgghh!

Last edited:
I see this occasionally on my sex-links, it may not be a problem. See if she grooms herself clean- mine usually do. I think they sometimes get excited at mud and snow and get a little careless. Now if it becomes a regular thing, you can reassess. Sometimes layers get caught needing to go just before or after laying, and rush to get it done. It can be as simple as not stooping enough to clear the butt feathers, maybe she didn't want to get her tush chiolled in the deep snow. I bet she'll be clean by this evening...
lol.png

Last edited:
Hi Jessica. Don't be afraid of a little poop. Is there any other reason you think she might be eggbound? I've been through my first winter with mine and with all the snow and mud, a poopy butt or two doesn't bother me anymore.

Your birds are probably much cleaner than mine!
lol.png

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

I do not have any molasses and can't get out for now b/c of the snow storm we are having. Can I use anything else?
I have never had a hen with poop on her butt before, so I freaked a little when I saw it.
It seemed to be regular poo color.
I am heading out shortly to do a better inspection.
I will be back.

Thanks!

So I went out. She's not well. she was not with the rest of the birds and she was all puffed up. I checked her bum, and it is all runny and mucousy, and she is very blah.
I brought her in, gave her fresh water with electrolytes and a strawberry, a prune and some layer pellets. I am going to scramble an egg right now too.
Can I do this myself, or do I wait for my hubby to get home tonight? I don't know how long she has.
what else should I be doing??
sad.png

if she is egg bound, put her in the sink with water enough to cover her underbelly. If she is egg bound this will help to relax her and it helps soak the poop off. The water can be warm, dont boil or make it too cold, comfortable enough for your hands to be under and warmed. Let her sit for as long as an hour. Check her vent to see if there is an egg stuck, be careful you dont break the egg inside her. get her out after an hour or so, dry her as best as you can. if you have any calcium, (bread with milk will work for now) she needs calcium to help her pass an egg if she is egg bound. Keep her quiet and in a dark warm area, offering water and food, milk and bread. When this happen to ours, it worked, but she was older and eventually she died. I was able to get to the store for calcium, no such thing up here as liquid calcium, not in the drug stores, got it in pill form and crushed in water. Good luck dear.

Back
Top Bottom