1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Egg Bound Hen...I think...what to do!?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cockadoodle-doo, Sep 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM.

1. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    Hey everyone!!! One of my 1.5 year old americauna is egg bound I believe. She seems to have the classic signs but I have to admit I have not felt for it because I am scared of breaking it. She has received two warm Epson salt baths and is in the dark garage in our sick chicken cage. Is there anything else we can do?? She hasn't laid in a few days and she consistently lays every other day so it all seems to add up....just want to help her...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What are the symptoms? Is she acting sick?

3. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    I noticed she seemed to be laying around the run a little more than usual today and I checked on her a few times. She had moved places and seemed to be the only chicken slightly panting off and on. Then when we let them out to free range she found a shady spot close to the run and just sat down. She will take a few steps and squat. She lays down and just closes her eyes. And doesn't seem to want to eat or drink...I did just try to check and I didn't feel anything.

ChickNanny13 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    Also her stool seems pretty watery and she seemed to enjoy laying in the warm water ...

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
  6. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Can you feel an egg? Can you post a picture of the poop,

7. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    I didn't feel an egg when I tried. I only went straight in though. I didn't try to really feel up or down. I can see if I can find poop in her cage. It will take a min or two.

8. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    20180913_211528.jpg

9. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    I would need some poop pics to properly diagnose her with New Castle Disease as that is what I think she has as I had the same thing.

Cockadoodle-doo likes this.
  10. Cockadoodle-doo

Cockadoodle-doo Chirping

Apr 2, 2017
    IL
    So this is a recent poop...like 5 min ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: