Egg Bound Hen...I think...what to do!?!?!

You need to take her in and soak her is warm water with Epsom salt mixed in for 20 minutes 2-3 x a day. This will help and set her in a cool dark dry place once she is dry. You should try and dry her with a hair dryer and let her rest make sure she is at least drinking and also try giving her some oregano mixed in water. Also put some cinnamon and turmeric with is a natural antibiotic and turmeric redues inflammation. Try and let her rest inside and over night to see if this helps and if the egg passes any probiotic is good to they have save a chick probiotic at ts and blackstrap molasses is a good one as well. I hope this helps good luck.

Great. What did the vet say?
They did not have an open appointment but will take emergent cases and begin treatment so I dropped her off and am waiting for a call. It was actually kind of better that way because I have three kids under 4 and I'm not sure how well they would have been during an office visit after an hour drive. So I will keep everyone posted. This hospital came highly recommended so fingers crossed!!!

They did not have an open appointment but will take emergent cases and begin treatment so I dropped her off and am waiting for a call. It was actually kind of better that way because I have three kids under 4 and I'm not sure how well they would have been during an office visit after an hour drive. So I will keep everyone posted. This hospital came highly recommended so fingers crossed!!!
Awesome!
Let us know when you hear back from them.
Go play with your littles and have a great day.

Awesome!
Let us know when you hear back from them.
Go play with your littles and have a great day.
Hey!!!! I just heard from the vet!!! Well worth the 1 hour drive one way!!! Chickaletta has an infection in her crop. She has a fever of 107. It is not sour crop so we would have probably never known because there is no odor. She said it was an over production of Flora probably due to the corid or could have been coincidence. But either way she needs antibiotics. I'm so excited that it sounds like she will be ok!!! Thanks so much for all of the input. I feel like I learn so much from the bumps in the road!!!

Hey!!!! I just heard from the vet!!! Well worth the 1 hour drive one way!!! Chickaletta has an infection in her crop. She has a fever of 107. It is not sour crop so we would have probably never known because there is no odor. She said it was an over production of Flora probably due to the corid or could have been coincidence. But either way she needs antibiotics. I'm so excited that it sounds like she will be ok!!! Thanks so much for all of the input. I feel like I learn so much from the bumps in the road!!!
I am glad you took her in. Good job.

Over production of Flora due to coccidiosis you mean? Corid only blocks thaimine uptake. Cwhen you pick her up ask what type of bacteria is present, please.

I am glad you took her in. Good job.

Over production of Flora due to coccidiosis you mean? Corid only blocks thaimine uptake. Cwhen you pick her up ask what type of bacteria is present, please.
She said it had to do with her ph I'm her cropp being off and that could be from a number of things. She just said some birds are more sensitive than others. But I will definitely ask what type of bacteria was present!!

They can give some probiotic packets for her food to help get her gut flora back to normal. Crops can have bacterial or fungal infections, so glad they are treating her. Good luck.
Yes I'm so relieved!!! And I am able to add another vet that will treat chickens to my list! She made it sound like it would have been really hard for me to figure out. And she also said her heart and respiratory system sounded great so she is healthy otherwise!!

Back
Top Bottom