Egg bound hen

Well now you just inspired me to read a ton of threads so I can become a chicken expert! I might even look at your older threads. Just kidding lol! Saffron is a white leghorn. I know kind of a boring color but she has an attitude. She ranks third in the pecking order of seven. I like to name my animals after things I can plant over their grave when they pass to remember them. Saffron is a beautiful flower and spice. Hope I can grow it when the time comes! I've considered going to vet school myself, but I have so many things I am passionate about. Two years ago when I was sixteen and bought those cute chicks if I would have known how much fun keeping chickens would be I would have started earlier. You are lucky to live on a farm. I want to be a hobby farmer so bad, but hey I still have time. Will update as Saffon improves:)

Today Saffron's spirit is up. She is eating her wet food pretty well. She still jerks some times almost like she is having a crop spasm? Her abdomen is still very swollen too.

Also do you know the cheapest place to buy Baytril? I'm not sure exactly what to buy. I have seen the pills but I don't know the proper dosage or am I supposed to buy one made specifically to be given orally? I found the thread on Baytril sources but is it safe to buy a generic?

Casportpony has written a thread about baytril sources back in post #7. She uses the 10% baytril liquid, but gives it orally rather than put it in the water.
Dosage is 5 to 10 mg per pound twice a day for 5 days

Her dosage of the 10% liquid is 0.1 ml-0.2 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days.
For a 5 pound hen that would be 0.5ml-1.0 ml twice a day for 5 days.
Here are 2 links for the liquid:
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php

For the 25 mg tablets, you would use 1 or 2 tablets twice a day for 5 days for a 5 pound hen
Here is the link for the tablets:
http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/fiene2560.html

Last edited:
Can I extend the amount of time I am giving her the amoxicillin? Maybe 10 days instead of seven? Will that make her build up a resistance to the antibiotic?

Many vets give antibiotics for up to 10-14 days.
The vet just prescribed antibiotics for my uncle's dog for 2 weeks for a skin condition. My bloodhound was on them for 4 weeks for a serious joint infection, so it depends on what is being treated, and which antibiotic is used.

Last edited:
Hi there!! Saffron is still alive and her Baytril will be here tomorrow. She laid another lash egg yesterday. So I give her .5ml twice a day? Do I need to mix it with yogurt or anything? Also I think another one of my hens has laid a very small lash egg and she doesn't feel well. Am I spreading this to my other hens? I am starting to panic that they are all sick because of me!

Hi there!! Saffron is still alive and her Baytril will be here tomorrow. She laid another lash egg yesterday. So I give her .5ml twice a day? Do I need to mix it with yogurt or anything? Also I think another one of my hens has laid a very small lash egg and she doesn't feel well. Am I spreading this to my other hens? I am starting to panic that they are all sick because of me!

Give me a few minutes..or longer...to read back through this thread to refresh my memory..
While I'm re reading..

what are you feeding them?

Saffron is allowed to eat anything she wants because It is hard for me to get her to eat. The rest of my flock is on regular layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom