Egg bound?! PLEASE HELP!!

Feb 20, 2021
So I was enjoying myself outside and I saw my amerucana or howeveryouspellit hen breathing heavy. I moved her to a smaller coop by herself, and she immediately went to the nest and went into the egg laying position, straining hard. I gave her soft food and hand fed her some water, but she only ate a little bit of macaroni. She is also a little bit bloated in her abdomen. Please help. Too many of my babies have died this year, and I don’t want her to be next. Thank you for all opinions. 😥💕

So I was enjoying myself outside and I saw my amerucana or howeveryouspellit hen breathing heavy. I moved her to a smaller coop by herself, and she immediately went to the nest and went into the egg laying position, straining hard. I gave her soft food and hand fed her some water, but she only ate a little bit of macaroni. She is also a little bit bloated in her abdomen. Please help. Too many of my babies have died this year, and I don’t want her to be next. Thank you for all opinions. 😥💕

No, but something is wrong. I hope she doesn’t prolapse 🤞
Have you felt inside her vent for an egg?

I would try to get some Calcium into her but take care not to stress her too much. If you have TUMS, just break it up into pieces and see if she will eat it on her own.
Make water and food available but don't necessarily worry about her not eating for now, if she will drink and stay hydrated that would be good.

The bloating in the abdomen doesn't sound too good. Have you had other hens that had that?

I would try to get some Calcium into her but take care not to stress her too much. If you have TUMS, just break it up into pieces and see if she will eat it on her own.
Make water and food available but don't necessarily worry about her not eating for now, if she will drink and stay hydrated that would be good.

The bloating in the abdomen doesn't sound too good. Have you had other hens that had that?
No, no other hens have had that.

I just gave her 1 tums pill. She is still breathing heavy. I hope she shows improvement. Thank you SO MUCH for your advice. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom