Hen with a bloated/enlarging abdomen‼️PLEASE HELP‼️

EasterChickens

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Hello everyone,

My 3 year and 3 months leghorn hen has been experiencing a bloated abdomen lately. A few days ago, she was egg bound as i saw her pushing, but soon after I didn’t see any egg come out of her and she was fine afterwards. Then I started to see her abdomen looking unusual and big. She is still eating and drinking. She is active but not as active as usual. Her poop seems to be normal/solid. Her breathing also seems normal to me. I have heard a lot of threads about egg yolk peritonitis and ascites but i’m not sure what to diagnose her with. If you have any thoughts/suggestion, please comment them ASAP!

Below are pictures of her abdomen/physical appearance⬇️⬇️:

Much appreciated,
Valerie

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpeg
    IMG_1524.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 20
What is the bruising/discoloration and what looks like a puncture?
Can you take a closer look at that?
Could she have fallen or gotten injured by something?
Where does she roost?

I'd investigate that area on her abdomen more closely, if you can get clearer, well lit photos that may be helpful. It may be a breast blister or abscess, but hard to tell.

For now, I'd offer supportive care, make sure she's eating/drinking, you can give her poultry vitamins for a few days too if you wish.

1695614176067.png

What is the bruising/discoloration and what looks like a puncture?
Can you take a closer look at that?
Could she have fallen or gotten injured by something?
Where does she roost?

I'd investigate that area on her abdomen more closely, if you can get clearer, well lit photos that may be helpful. It may be a breast blister or abscess, but hard to tell.

For now, I'd offer supportive care, make sure she's eating/drinking, you can give her poultry vitamins for a few days too if you wish.

View attachment 3644684
Hello Wyorp Rock, thank you so much for the reply! The little dark red dot is from a bleeding that happened yesterday. I don’t know exactly why it happened, but probably from a scratch. It eventually healed up so I didn’t mind it much. The blue/discoloration part, I also don’t know much of why it is there but I do remember she was attacked by a hawk months ago but she was taken cared of and recovered. So that could be a cause to it. Do you have any thoughts on if she could be dealing with egg yolk peritonitis or ascites?

Could she have injured/impaled herself on something?

Years ago this happened to a young cockerel of mine, while jumping down from the roof of theur coop, he impaled himself on a dried upward facing branch inside a bush. I never expected him to recover as the branch went through his abdomen at almost the same point where your hens' injury can be seen. It came out on his side near his cloaca.
But miraculously, he recovered as no organs nor the intestines were injured.

Could she have injured/impaled herself on something?

Years ago this happened to a young cockerel of mine, while jumping down from the roof of theur coop, he impaled himself on a dried upward facing branch inside a bush. I never expected him to recover as the branch went through his abdomen at almost the same point where your hens' injury can be seen. It came out on his side near his cloaca.
But miraculously, he recovered as no organs nor the intestines were injured.
Hello LaFleche, thank you tor your reply! She was attacked by a hawk months ago but was taken cared of and recovered. That is the only reason i could think of that would cause that. Do you think she could be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or ascites by any chance?

Those photos are current - from the last day or so?

If they are, then investigate the bruising/blue area and the puncture - see if that needs to be tended to.

Bruising may be why she's bloated and acting off.

Those photos are current - from the last day or so?

If they are, then investigate the bruising/blue area and the puncture - see if that needs to be tended to.

Bruising may be why she's bloated and acting off.
Hello again Wyorp Rock! Thank you so much for your help so far. These are from the last day. I checked up on her today, and she has been acting like what she was on this thread (the same). Her discoloration/blue bruising area is also pretty much the same too. What should I do in a case/situation like this? Is this a life threatening situation?

Back
Top Bottom