Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

Can you check her vent for any possible flystrike and maggots? Do you have a picture of the small worms you saw? It sounds like maggots which can be serious. Hens who are having problems with shell-less or thin shelled eggs that break, may feel very weak and lifeless. Giving a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet daily for several days to a week, may help strengthen the shells and the ability to pass an egg. There could be others coming on the way. Usually, they gain strength when they lay the egg and feel better unless another one comes. I would offer some fluids and cooked egg or watery feed. Electrolytes or something like Poultry NutriDrench can be helpful 2 ml orally.
I can definitely check, do you think the maggots would be deep inside of the vent? I’ll attach a photo of the ones in her poop, I’m sorry they’re so hard to see. I took a video of them because they were moving a lot.
I’ll go and buy calcium tablets right now, how should those be fed to her, dissolved?
And thank you so much for your continued help, taking care of Angel the last month or two has been much easier with your advice.

Attachments

• E5747420-4FD5-486F-84FC-1C9FAA804513.jpeg
    E5747420-4FD5-486F-84FC-1C9FAA804513.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 7335A8EE-5058-4BAF-A0C7-27F8453CD58C.jpeg
    7335A8EE-5058-4BAF-A0C7-27F8453CD58C.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21
I see some white stringy things, but could those just be urates? The pictures are out of focus. I doubt that those are worms or maggot, but not sure. A more clear picture would help. Tapeworm segments may be seen in poop moving around. Maggots also move. Maggots can enter the vent from the skin. Usually this happens when there is a soiled vent or a cut that gets fly larvae, and the maggots hatch out. Here is an article about flystike just to see what that looks like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
They were moving in her poop- very small clear/white worms yea. I’m not sure it’s maggots, she has nothing around her vent / fluff near it, when I looked inside her vent it looked clear of any worms. I can certainly look deeper.

She just pooped this out?? Not sure if it’s from the egg that broke or signs of another problem, she’s never pooped out yellow before

Attachments

• F3FCF46F-6FA8-4638-9D09-D93D0546DA58.jpeg
    F3FCF46F-6FA8-4638-9D09-D93D0546DA58.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 22
It looks like bile from the liver. Please update with other pictures of droppings. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in droppings:

oh boy :( she’s had liver problems for a while now, she had water belly around a month ago which i’ve been trying to treat. I hope it’s not catching up to her - it doesn’t feel like any more water has built up.
For the worms i’ll try to get a clearer picture if they show up in her poop again- It doesn’t look like those tapeworms to me but I have no idea. I’ll try to upload a video on one of the approved sites and put the link here.

It looks like bile from the liver. Please update with other pictures of droppings. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in droppings:

I finally was able to upload the video of the original worms. Her other droppings have been very watery with lots of dark green. She is also panting today, breathing with her beak open. It’s not warm / close to hot in the house at all !! Every new thing makes me more confused with her.

Attachments

• 3E3D3F0C-2456-4257-82E6-BD3B9F85E0CB.jpeg
    3E3D3F0C-2456-4257-82E6-BD3B9F85E0CB.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 1
I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days, or SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days to get capillary worms. Cecal worms only require the SafeGuard given once and again in 10 days, but I would give it for 5 days in case of capillary worms. I don’t know if that is cecal or capillary worms in your video.
Hey again. I’m not sure how long the dewormer takes to work but 3 days in I don’t see any dead worms in her poop- and she’s barely eating / moving around :( not sure if this is because of the worms still being alive or something else? I have also been supplementing her with calcium as recommended.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Sometimes when they don't feel the best, they go off their normal feed. Try offering it wet, add a bit of plain yogurt on top, bits of scrambled egg or fish (sardines/mackerel). Try just bits of things to see if something interests her.
It is emptying overnight yeah, I’ll try giving her what I have and see if she wants any of it.
For antibiotics though, I should give her another 5 days? and continue worming ad well?

Yes, I'd finish the deworming.

What antibiotic did you use last time? Baytril? It's normally given for 5 days, but if she's not showing improvement by the day 3 then likely she won't with 5.

Yes, I'd finish the deworming.

What antibiotic did you use last time? Baytril? It's normally given for 5 days, but if she's not showing improvement by the day 3 then likely she won't with 5.
Enrofloxacin 10% is what I used last time for 5 days.
What would it mean if her crop didn’t empty overnight?

Back
Top Bottom